Are Metal Halide lamps dangerous?

I retrieved some nice 1kW High Bay lamps from Dump. I am going to retrofit them with LEDs for my shop. I am a little nervous about removing the meta
l halide lamps. It seems the first one had become a little loose form it's socket. I am wondering if the bulb is fractured when I try to remove if i t will explode.
I post this here because there is a lot of general knowledge between you al l.
regards, Bob
On 5/3/2019 5:17 AM, Bob LaFrance wrote:

They are two bulbs in one envelope. The two are necessary to filter the UV from the mercury vapor arc. We have had the inner bulb fracture but the lamp still works. If you don't mind mercury, just wrap in a blanket and hit with a hammer.
Pau

Or just wrap a towel around it and see if you can get it out without breaking. The mercury is in the inner envelope which GENERALLY is pretty robust. Other than the mercury and sharp glass they are pretty harmless.
Thank you for responses. I will dress in bomb squad outfit before I get into it.