B&S/Ramoc 618 Surface Grinder Question

Fiberglass in grinder ways & bearing surfaces is a great idea. Leave it to gummer ...

Reply to
Cliff

look for shiny wear patterns and you should be able to tell how they were in there.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

If it's a typical crossed roller way arrangement, they alternate.

The original was almost certainly some flavor of cotton phenolic (Micarta, Textolite, etc.) I've seen brass used as well. Fiberglass is too abrasive.

My grinder has balls in v-ways, so isn't much help as a reference.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Makes sense to me. Brass would be fairly easy to come by and work.

I dont use it all that much, couple times a month, but when I need it..I need it.

Thanks!!!!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I tried pvc as a spacer in a thrust bearing with balls; noticable binding resulted along with noticable deposits. Next spacer was made from aluminum - worked much better.

Hul

Reply to
dbr

My 1939 Cincinnati T&C grinder is balls in Vee ways, and it used a brass spacer. I would guess plastic is just a more modern cheaper alternative to brass.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

A note on Nylon. It picks up water & swells; IIRC it can pickup up to 10% by weight ... probably not for use in critical applications exposed to water-based fluids.

Reply to
Cliff