Baked Paints

What type of metal paint can be baked-small metal items in a home shop.

Reply to
utxfr56

Epoxy bakes onto most metals easily at about 200 degrees f. Lacquer also at about the same temp but it is still not solvent proof. I have done this for many years in my screenprinting biz and have used almost every sort of solvent based coating. Go with epoxy.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Engine paints. Im rather fond of the "ceramic" based engine paints. BBQ paint is also good, but tends to only come in black.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Reply to
RichD

There's a number of durable gun finishes that can be sprayed on, then baked. Brownell's carries them. Get a thrift shop toaster oven, use of the kitchen oven may get you banned to the garage!

Other than that, there's various baking enamels and coatings on the industrial market, not usually in small quantites, though. Another option would be powder coating, there's small shop setups now available, HF carries them among others.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Go to an auto parts house and get high temperature paint, such as used for engines, etc. It comes in a variety of colors and you can bake it for about an hour at 350. Turns very hard and durable. I don't remember the brand off-hand, but it you want to know, I can check and post it tomorrow.

Of course, then there's powdercoating.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Yep - powder coating is at 400 degrees - have an extra kitchen oven ? in the shop ?!

Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Gary Brady wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

PlastiCote ceramic engine enamel and brake caliper paint (can't remember the manufacturer) are both heat cure and are virtually imperviuous to solvents when cured. Between the two they come in a pretty good range of colours.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Reply to
ilaboo

Maybe the answers so far have given you what you need. But I suspect that you would be better served by presenting your application. It may be that there are coatings that will serve your need without baking and/or some of the baked coatings may not even be appropriate.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

find a used appliance dealer, ovens can be had for pretty cheap. space is the real issue at hand.

Reply to
marc.britten