BBQ grill replacement in stainless

After enjoying countless Bbq's at a friend's house, he has asked for help in replacing a failing cast iron grill surface. It's about 20" x 40" in 2 sections. I'm thinking of 3/8" Stainless rods TIG'd together on 3/4" centers. I'm open to any wisdom that may be offered. This grill gets used a LOT!!! He has used the factory heavy iron replacements and they last 1/2 year. He builds raging lump charcoal fires that must be way too hot...but the food is great!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Someone sent you some recipes, didn't they?

R, Tom Q. Remove bogusinfo to reply

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

If the cost is not a problem, Inconel will last much longer than stainless, and will probably still be in good shape when the rest of the grill has collapsed into a pile of rust 1/4" or 5/16" is probably big enough.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Why bother with stainless, you can get ceramic grates at the BBQ place or a good hardware store. These will never wear out.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Save yourself some work and use stainless expanded metal. Just be sure and use the flattened type, it's much easier to scrape clean and makes a great grill surface.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

The ones I've seen are ceramic coated steel and _will_ last a very long time if treated gently. Chip the coating and the rust sets in.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Yes, it would be a whole lot easier and faster - but then your steaks and burgers would have diamond-shaped grill marks instead of that nice even bar pattern, and you simply can't have that... ;-)

For when my ceramic/steel grids finally die in my patch-it-together propane grill, what do I need to MIG together a set of Stainless rod grids? No TIG here, I have a Miller Challenger and .030 ER70S-6 wire on straight CO2 now. Stainless wire is a given, but what gas mix?

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I cook a lot of oysters on my barbecue, as the oyster beds are about a mile away, and I buy em in 25lb sacks. Heat and salt water together rust out barbecue parts really fast. So over the years my barbecue has become the Bionic Barbecue- or maybe the 6 Million Dollar Barbecue. this one is gas, so first I had to replace the burners with stainless burners. Then I replaced the lava rock tray, which was 16ga mild steel, with 14ga stainless, and a rock tray of stainless expanded metal. For the grill, I did exactly what you are talking about- 3/8" round stainless, on 3/4" centers. At this point, it is about 4 years old, and there is no rust or damage to the stainless. I fire it up hot for

10 minutes or so, then brush it off with a stainless steel wire brush before I put food on it. The 3/8" round bars are somewhat blackened, but they work just fine. Ended up making a second barbey for big parties, charcoal fired, just for oysters. It is made from 1/8" stainless plate, with another 3/8" round grill on top. With both of em running we can cook about 40 oysters at a time. Of course, the stainless works just fine for any other meat, fowl, or fish as well.
Reply to
Ries
3/8" would be a bit much unless your roasting Volkswagens. :-) 3/16" or even a 1/4" (which is what I made mine from). I have seen 20" by 20" stainless grills on the better (read more expensive) stainless steel gas grills also made from 1/4" rod.

Figure out a cut list. I'll check my scrap for how much 1/4" rod in 308 stainless steel I have left and try to make up a kit. You supply the welding.

Good hunting

Jim Vrzal

Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to
Mawdeeb

Oooooo!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Try this article

Shawn

"> For when my ceramic/steel grids finally die in my patch-it-together

Reply to
Shawn

I've got a bunch of 5/16" (actually .307" dia) type 304 SS rod material if you are interested. Can make you a (really) good deal on some. They are 75" lengths and I have about 100 of em. Also have about 100 .225" dia if you want smaller diameter as some have suggested.

basically, scrap value plus shipping.

Thanks

Koz

Tom Gardner wrote: