bench grinder wheel replacement?

I have a little Rockwell 3-phase grinder I picked up recently. It had been wired completely wrong and today I rewired it and it runs smooth as glass. I have the same problem with it that I have had with every bench grinder, though. The shaft spins one way, so the wheels rotate down towards the tool rest. The nut on one end of the shaft is RH and the nut on the other end is LH. If I put a wrench on both shaft nuts and crank, one will loosen. The question is, how do I loosen the other one? I can't for the life of me see why grinder manufacturers don't put a hole you can put a pin in to lock the shaft for changing wheels. I sure don't want to put Vise Grips on the naked threads - what is the trick I'm missing?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

What size is the other wrench?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

They make vise-grips for tubes/shafts. A split thin-walled tube (or roofing copper, etc) over the unthreaded part of the shaft end that loosened should give the 'grips a good grip, w/o gouging the shaft.

You might also consider machining (grinding?) a square or hex onto the end of each shaft, that clears the nut, if you have the extra shaft length.

Now, what's the secret to getting these goddamm wheels to run *true*???? goodgawd....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Hold it with your hand on the wheel and put an impact wrench on the other end. (I know that sounds a bit like Altavoz (sp) but it isn't a lathe chuck) :)

Reply to
Glenn

I had the same problem with my Baldor. I did use visegrips, but put a folded napkin between the jaws and threads.

Ignoramus17838

Impact it off, tighten with a rag stuck in the opposite wheel. With use the wheel will tighten itself.

I bought a grinder cheap one time. It was missing the left hand nut and the guy thought it was almost junk without that special nut. Went to the auto parts and bought a Chrysler left hand lug nut from the sixties vintage.

Reply to
Mike

How about using a strap wrench around the wheel?

Bruce

Reply to
BJ

I may have to resort to turning up a disk which has a hole bored in its periphery. Then I could install the disk instead of a grinding wheel, put a pin in the hole and grab onto it, and then I could crack the nut on the other end.

This is a nice little grinder from the 1970s it looks like. I think there's a little tiny bit of corrosion in the shaft nut.

I tried grabbing a wheel on the other end to loosen the stuck nut, didn't work. I could always stick a scrap grinding wheel on and grab that with Vise-Grips, I have about six old bench grinding wheels, all scrappers.

GWE

Ignoramus17838 wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Greetings Grant, If the threads are clean so that the nut spins easily then you should be able to get it tight enough just by holding onto the grinding wheel. This is how I was taught 31 years ago and it has always worked well. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Good restraint!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I've been wondering the same thing ! Changed out the stones on my 25 yr old unit and the new stones will *not* run true . I always thought the flange should bear against a shoulder on the shaft , which would hold it true . The damn flanges aren't even a good fit on the shaft ! The old stones ran true ... but I finally took the dresser to the sides of the pink one , just to have a decent chance at grinding lathe bits .

Reply to
Snag

Sorry .. I thought you were trying to get your nuts off .. I definately wouldn't use an impact to put em on. :)

Reply to
Glenn

Get a short piece of copper pipe that fits reasonably well over the threaded end of the shaft, cut it about an inch long, and then split it lengthwise (so that it's a nearly-closed C shape). Put it over the threads on one end and grab it with a pair of water-pump pliers (my preference) or vise-grips, while you tighten or loosen the other end.

I'm with you, though. Why in the world can't they put some kind of shaft lock on the damn things?

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Wow. You must live in a time warp. The last decent old-style hardware store near me vaporized years ago. Killed by home despot, I think. There is still one pretty decent one not too far away (not Ace), and I go there a lot, but I'd be really surprised if I could find a left-handed nut there.

Consider yourself lucky.

Reply to
xray

I've always wedged a stick of wood between the guard and the grinding wheel. Never fails for me.

Reply to
syoung

Heh, heh! Just change one wheel at a time! After the RH nut's wheel has been replaced, turn the wrench the OTHER WAY to get the LH nut off!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh