Bendable Soft Aluminum Rod

I'm using an 8 inch long and 1/6 inch thick soft aluminum rod to hold up a 10 ounce object. When I bend this soft aluminum rod over time it becomes weak and eventually breaks. Is there a better rod solution than soft aluminum that bends without losing its strength so fast?

Reply to
ranchhills

brass or half-hard copper might do what you want.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Are you constantly flexing it?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Have you considered a gooseneck (metal spiral tube) like used in lamps?

Reply to
whit3rd

Or:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

over time it

solution

so fast?

1/16 5356 tig rod should be good. It is work hardening.....
Reply to
Phil Kangas

Any solid metal rod is going to eventually work-harden and break if bent back and forth, some types faster than others. I'd suggest either the wrapped helical goosenecks or various solid hinged rod solutions, with or without counterweights. Look at desk lamps if you need inspiration. I assume you're moving your "object" into a particular position as needed.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Any solid metal rod is going to eventually work-harden and break if bent back and forth, some types faster than others. I'd suggest either the wrapped helical goosenecks or various solid hinged rod solutions, with or without counterweights. Look at desk lamps if you need inspiration. I assume you're moving your "object" into a particular position as needed.

Stan

Heat the rod with a torch after a partial bend to remove the work hardening.

Reply to
Calif Bill

aluminum rod to hold

over time it

rod solution

strength so fast?

break if

suggest

hinged rod

lamps if you

into a

the work hardening.

Since when is 'work hardening' always considered reject? As I stated in an earlier post 5356 tig rod actually gets harder and stronger as it gets flexed in service. I have strips of canoe aluminum you would swear was stainless it is so stiff. River boats are made of 5000 series aluminum to take the abuse of hitting rocks etc. Just my opinion....... phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

The river boats are 3/16-1/4 5056 and / or 6061 tempered and they do bend when the rocks make contact. You home they bend and not cut to keep the water out. As to bending, they do that. Last repair on the bottom of my Jetcraft cost $1500. My Mig welder is not powerful enough to do a great weld on the 3/16 plate in my boat. Linclon 180C.

Reply to
Calif Bill