Blind internal keyway

I am trying to figure out how to broach a 6mm (.236") keyway into an ID (about 30mm - 1.181") about 50mm deep (2") that terminates in a hole that is drilled through from the OD and does not proceed past the hole at all.

Any suggestions. Thanks Alex

Reply to
Alex Charles

Depending on how many you're talking about I've done that in a lathe (or mill) with a toolbit ground to the right width, holding the part in the chuck and using the carriage like a shaper moving the X axis out a little each stroke. For 1 or so it's fine for more than that it's a PITA. You can use the tailstock to push on the back of the tool post to make heavier, smoother cuts too.

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF

Precision Blind broaching

Westco Broach phone 626 5799600

10776 Weaver Ave So. El Monte Ca 91733

Reply to
Jim Sehr

What is the material you are working with?

This is an ideal job for a shaper. If you can find anyone with one locally he would make fast work of it.

Otherwise, a large lathe with a grooving tool held sideways in a boring bar, can be made to operate as a shaper. It would take probably fifteen minutes to do the job once set up, traversing the carriage by hand.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Reply to
waynemak

Reply to
RoyJ

A shaper or shaper head on a mill, not sure if you can get 2" of stroke out of a shaper head,, otherwise a sinker EDM if you have access to one.

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Steve Lusardi