Bolt size for GE Electrical boxes?

Does anybody know what the bolt size is that GE uses in their service panels for attaching hardware to the box? The thread pitch looks like a

32 tpi when I lay a thread gauge or tap next to it. The major diameter is about 0.185" and the root diameter is about 0.168". This puts it in between a #8 and a #10.

Thanks, BobH

Reply to
BobH

It looks like a single start thread to me. Also, it has a slightly tapered area near the end. Not a notch like a full self tapping screw, but suggesting that.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Are those multiple thread bolts?

Ignoramus15834

probably 10/32

Reply to
ATP

Think its a 10-32 with a paint/thread chasing taper on the end. Use one of the screws ( or a tap tool) to clean/chase the hole and a 10-32 seems to fit well.

Reply to
Mr.E

Most electrical hardware is standard machine screw size, it's probably

10-32 with a self-tapping, tapered tip. A few boxes of 10-32, 8-32 and 3/16"/10-24 screws should handle just about any electrical hardware problem.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

You forgot 6-32. Used in electrical boxes.

Ignoramus30441

It was 10/32. I put a 10/32 tap in one of the holes in the box and it was a tight fit, but I put a 10/32 nut on the bolt and it was acceptable.

Thanks, BobH

Reply to
BobH

4-40 is popular for small stuff; I've even seen 3-48 and 2-56. One place where I worked, they were calling out 0-80's but this was for an electron gun or something. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise