Polisher medium

I made a roller for a 5 gallon bucket polisher. What should I use for a medium? Sandblasting sand? Another easily available type of sand? Add a
big box of BB's? Just a polisher to clean up rusty or old parts that I can put something in for a while and do it the lazy way.
Steve

I think that the term you are looking for is tumbling media. For derusting I would look into ceramic media.

Available at ????????/
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc.

Lots of places, such as ebay. Probably locally too.

What rusty parts? Tumbling in ceramic media will not just remove the rust but also edges, threads etc. Rotary tumbling is more likely to do this than vibratory tumbling.
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
On 09/22/2010 08:19 AM, Steve B wrote:

Why in hell do you want to polish five gallon buckets?
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

So they will be shiny!
--

Richard Lamb

I don't. I just wanted to throw another troll out there for the anal netnannies who can read English, but find it necessary to pick apart every participle, possessive pronoun and adverb.
Hold my beer, Vern. I've got another one. And this is a big un.
Steve
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:19:40 -0700, "Steve B"

Sand works ok..but tends to turn into dust in a surprisingly short time.
Ceramic polishing media is best
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-inch-x-7-16-inch-large-ceramic-polishing-media-97029.html
While a big big....does tend to work well enough. Assuming you dont need "detail work"...
google "ceramic polishing media"
http://www.vibrafinish.com/vibratory-media-ceramic-sp.html
Gunner
Gunner Asch wrote:

Sand is free, in some places. The last place I lived was surrounded by many square miles of 'Sugar Sand'. When it wore out, you just walked outside with a bucket & a shovel. :)
enough left over to pay them.

and the dust is free silica, so you want to keep it wet