Polisher medium

I made a roller for a 5 gallon bucket polisher. What should I use for a medium? Sandblasting sand? Another easily available type of sand? Add a big box of BB's? Just a polisher to clean up rusty or old parts that I can put something in for a while and do it the lazy way.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

I think that the term you are looking for is tumbling media. For derusting I would look into ceramic media.

Ignoramus15834

Available at ????????/

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Why in hell do you want to polish five gallon buckets?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc.

Reply to
Pete C.

Lots of places, such as ebay. Probably locally too.

Ignoramus15834

Sand works ok..but tends to turn into dust in a surprisingly short time.

Ceramic polishing media is best

While a big big....does tend to work well enough. Assuming you dont need "detail work"...

google "ceramic polishing media"

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

So they will be shiny!

Reply to
CaveLamb

Sand is free, in some places. The last place I lived was surrounded by many square miles of 'Sugar Sand'. When it wore out, you just walked outside with a bucket & a shovel. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

and the dust is free silica, so you want to keep it wet

Reply to
ATP

What rusty parts? Tumbling in ceramic media will not just remove the rust but also edges, threads etc. Rotary tumbling is more likely to do this than vibratory tumbling.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

I don't. I just wanted to throw another troll out there for the anal netnannies who can read English, but find it necessary to pick apart every participle, possessive pronoun and adverb.

Hold my beer, Vern. I've got another one. And this is a big un.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B