Wattage of a typical NYC-like sodium street lamp?

Awl --

Inyone know?

The bulbs themselves come anywhere from 50W to 250W, proly more.. I spose I could climb up and ampprobe a wire real quick, before the police arrive.... :)

Sodium puts out about 6x the lumens per watt of an incandescant.

I'm asking because I have to illuminate some dark areas around Le Hovel, from my property, and want it to resemble the existing (or in this case, non-existing) street lighting, at about the same brightness.

I called my town's light peeple, but DATS a shot in the, uh, dark, bleeve me....

These are like NYC street lites, the tall pole, with about a 6' arm coming out, edison-like base. Not the decorative type lites, that are just vertical.

Reply to
Existential Angst

My local utility (Public Service Electric & Gas) will sell you street lights for your parking lot or whatever. I'm sure they can give you some help.

Security & Roadway Lighting Effective lighting is one of your most powerful tools for fighting crime, enhancing safety and reducing potential liability. PSE&G offers a comprehensive selection of lighting products for roadways, loading docks, building facades and signs =97 even vandal-resistant, low-glare street lighting. No matter what challenges your site presents, PSE&G lighting professionals can help you implement lighting solutions that protect your employees, your customers and your property.

"Our strategic lighting solutions can help you fight crime, improve safety and reduce liability."

Our experienced representatives are ready to help! For specification and design assistance, call PSE&G at 1-800-664-4761

Reply to
rangerssuck

My local utility (Public Service Electric & Gas) will sell you street lights for your parking lot or whatever. I'm sure they can give you some help.

Security & Roadway Lighting Effective lighting is one of your most powerful tools for fighting crime, enhancing safety and reducing potential liability. PSE&G offers a comprehensive selection of lighting products for roadways, loading docks, building facades and signs ? even vandal-resistant, low-glare street lighting. No matter what challenges your site presents, PSE&G lighting professionals can help you implement lighting solutions that protect your employees, your customers and your property.

"Our strategic lighting solutions can help you fight crime, improve safety and reduce liability."

Our experienced representatives are ready to help! For specification and design assistance, call PSE&G at 1-800-664-4761

Heh, Armageddon must be near: Yonkers DID know the wattage!!! WTF????

150 W, about 25 ft in height. That's about like a 1,000 W incandescant.

So I figger a 70W would be more than enough, mebbe even a 50 would do. He said they also use 70's in other fixtures.

The bulbs I saw at a local hardware store said 24,000 hours, as well.

No more Lovers' Lane around Angst's house.... no more condoms.....

HD had some stuff, bulbs MUCH more expensive than my local (very good) hdware store, and fixtures 10-15% more expensive thatn the electrical house. If you don't buy just the cheap come-on stuff from HD, they are shoving it in you BIG TIME.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Oh, heavens! For that, just put up a sign: "Smile: You're on Video Surveillance!" with a couple of dummy camera-looking boxes. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sodium and metal halide lights are very similarly shaped. Make sure you are comparing apples with wingnuts.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Just a data point for you. i bought a street light pole and went to the local electric contractor supply and ordered a light for it. They gave me a 200 W sodium. It lights up the whole yard.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've got three 475 HPS (well, one Metal Halide and two HPS) lamps in my barn. It's a 100x80 pole barn with an 18' level to the first rafters in the middle bay. They do a pretty fair job of lighting it up.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

NAA, put up REAL cameras and post the footage online, might even make a buck out of the deal....

Reply to
Steve W.

Sodium vapor lamps are about the most efficient ones available but they have an orange glow to them that the halide ones do not, making the sodium lamps ok for outdoor illumination but not that good for work lighting. There are standard formulas for the wattage needed for the area to be lit up. you should be able to find them on the internet. Search architectural lighting.

John

Reply to
John

You might look at this site before you buy something. Guidelines to better illumination where you need it and less light pollution.

About 1 mile from me are examples of two extremes. One is a new subdivision going in with well lit streets and good choices for fixtures. I can't see it at all from my location. The other is a new RV parking lot with 10 sodium lights aimed at the horizon. That turkey gives me a god-awful orange glow to the west. He'd have saved money on initial purchase, energy usage, and not caused a bunch of light pollution with a better fixture.

Mind you, I didn't notice this stuff nearly as much before I got a telescope and started looking at the night sky. I can still make out the Milky Way here, but whether I can in 20 years or not depends on lots of folks lighting choices (and whether I'm still able).

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

fyi, Los Angeles and probably other cities are in the process of 'upgrading' their sodium vapor street lighting to LED.

Haven't seen them yet, but heard they are very white, and a bit on the bright side.

Check this:

Erik

Reply to
Erik

You should not have to climb the pole. There is usually an access cover near ground level -- and you can probably identify the wires to probe there.

The police are still likely to be your problem. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols