Anyone seen a lamp like this before?

Hi all,

Just got back from spending a few days on holiday in Berlin. I stayed at a cheap-but-nice place which used to be a telephone factory (take a look at

if you're thinking of going to Berlin - you guys would probably like the place). Anyway I digress a little, but the place was fitted out using many Cold War era lamps, desks and fixtures which I thought looked really cool.

Then one night I went for a walk and noticed a huge complex of derelict buildings, probably 50 acres or so. It turned out to be an old East German railway rolling stock maintenance depot. When the wall came down they had two depots within a couple of miles of each other, so they closed one, removed all the gear and abandoned it. Nowadays it has been pretty comprehensively trashed and, apart from the odd sign warning of "unfallgefahr", you can wander around the place pretty freely. Some squatters have even set up an nightclub on the site. Given my love of old junk and also a fascination for derelict buildings, I couldn't resist a look. Sadly I didn't have a camera with me, but brought back a couple of things from among the piles of waste on the site:

Obviously there are a pair of Bourdon pressure gauges (apparently these look pretty weird under an x-ray scanner!) and one of those Cold War era lamps I was talking about. Unfortunately the lamp glass is broken, but I thought I'd pick it up anyway and try to find a replacement. It looks like the glass has been sprayed red on the inside, probably so that it could be used as some kind of signalling lamp. Has anyone seen a lamp like this before? It's marked with a logo made from the letters "EOW" and also carries the letters "Ex" and "Sch", both inside circles. The whole thing is very heavy and the cage isn't made from wire, it's round bar! I also need a weird triangular spanner to open the case. That blast cabinet I was talking to Harold about would be useful too! Here are a few more pictures:

Anyone got any thoughts about where to find a new glass dome, or how to make one? Interesting challenge...

Sorry for the long post!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have seen them in the USSR. They used to use these in construction sites for some purposes, I forgot which. Like marking cranes etc.

Ignoramus18077

Reply to
David Billington

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in Shropshire, England. I had a look at the Source Antiques site but can't see any lights of this design on there at the moment, but there is some pretty nice other stuff. Maybe I should e-mail him a picture of the lamp and see if he can get the glass? I'm not bothered about the glass being red as I want to use the lamp for ordinary lighting.

The globe is essentially a cylinder with a hemisphere on the end and about 1/4" thick. I think it probably has a lip on the upper end but I can't tell for sure as I haven't been able to disassemble the lamp yet. Do you think it would be straightforward enough to blow?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

"cold war era"? Huh! It's an old lamp from the former DDR. That's it. Nothing military-related.

Not too uncommon. The only difference is the cast housing. But ...

It means "Explosion" = explosion and "Schutz" = protection. "Ex"-stuff is used mostly in mines and means that it won't spark when switched on/off. I guess that the "Sch" means here, that it is water tight (spray water). I would say that they used it because of it's rudgedized design.

HTH, Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Do you mean beyond the fact that you see lamps with that general design anwhere that a heavy-duty, rugged lamp is needed? Caged lamps light that are everywhere; we have at least four of them lighting up our barn

-- the cage keeps the glass from shattering all over the horses if they start to act up.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I thought you were UK based. Might be best to email a photo to Rod Donaldson at Source with some dimensions, he's on broadband. He may have something stashed away. Not everything is on the site.

Blowing it should not be difficult, if it requires a flange at the top then it will most likely have to have a punty mark at the bottom but this can be ground out and polished. If no flange, just straight sided, then the piece could be cut from the blown item leaving what you want without requiring a punty.

The punty is the small piece of glass used to hold the glass to another ir> David Bill>

Reply to
David Billington

When I said "Cold War era" I just meant something that was made in Eastern Europe sometime between 1960 and 1980. I didn't mean anything military-related. Maybe I'm using the phrase incorrectly, but I'm not a military historian.

That's interesting to know the meaning of the "Ex" and "Sch" marks. I read online that those triangular-headed bolts are often used on equipment designed for explosive environments, but so far I can't find anywhere that sells the right spanner (M6 I think it is). Might see if I can get one of those electricity meter box keys. Looking closely it also says "geprueft" between the "Ex" and "Sch" marks. Does that roughly mean "proven" or "tested" in translation?

Thanks for the information,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

No, I meant this exact lamp. I've seen a fair number of similar ones too, but never one as heavy and solid as this. This is probably the weight of a brick!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks for the information. I need to get a triangular spanner before I can disassemble the lamp, then I'll take some photos and e-mail the dimensions to Rod. If he hasn't got anything I might get back to you about the glass blowing.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

We use lamps of almost exactly that construction in the pyro trade for lighting work areas where explosive powders are present.

According to NFPA, there's nothing that actually qualifies as "explosion proof", but there are dustproof lamp enclosures that qualify for use in explosive dust environments. A different type is required for explosive gasses.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That's OK. "cold war" for me means something different. YMMV.

It's often used for "restricted" access. For example the FD uses some triangular locks on doors, cabinets, poles etc.

it means tested in the sense of approved.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

sci.engr.lighting

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

I have seen lamps that looked like that on Navy ships. They were used as "night lights" and the red color was so as to not destroy your night vision. You could take a break from watch duty and return and still have the night vision.

Of course anything for the Navy was sturdy. Try marine suppliers for replacements.

Bill k7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

Naval lamps are like that. Right and left - :-) Christmas colors.

I have a Japanese lamp that is very close in design.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

It looks like the glass has been sprayed red on the

The Ex means that it is approved for use in an explosive atmosphere. I don't recognise the other letters Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

Is the base size a standard medium thread base or is it larger, as in a mogul base?

Reply to
Grady

Ut is NOT a running light as they have light baffle's so that they can be seen at specified angles.

Bill k7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

Do you mean the base of the bulb? I can't be certain yet, because I haven't been able to extract the remains of the bulb, but from below it looks like a standard Edison screw fitting.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

More than like it is just a standard incandescent lamp. Very doubtful that it was any type of HID lighting. The portion of the filament assembly that is left looks like a common incandescent. Earlier post regarding xp for explosion proof could very likely be correct, possibly class 2 device. This is a typical design today for such fixtures from Crouse Hinds, Appleton, OZ Gedney and others.

Reply to
Grady