Sodium polyacrylate polymerization

Hi!!! I'm looking for methods to polymerize acrylic acid in order to obtain a polymer with a Mw of 4000. Currently, I do polymerizations in aqueous media, using two methods: a) Metabisulfite / Persulfate b) Hydrogen Peroxide But, regretfully, the sodium polyacrylate obtained by either method a) or b) is less effective, as clay dispersant, than the same polymer made by Isopropylic alcohol method. Is someone able to give me an answer? How can I improve the polymer effectiveness? Does someone knows another polymerization methods based upon aqueous media?

Thanks

Reply to
SCV

Did you measure MW of the polymer you make with a) Metabisulfite / Persulfate b) Hydrogen Peroxide

Are you using a chain transfer agent?

How are you converting the polyacrylic acid to sodium polyacrylate?

Ernie

Reply to
Ernie

I have measured the MW that is obtained with both methods a) and b). The result was quite similar, a MW around 4000 and a polydisprsity index about 1.7.

The polyacrylic acid is converted to sodium polyacrylate trough Na(OH) additions (temperature is kept below 60ºC).

I would like to avoid the use of any chain tranfer agent because of its hazard

Reply to
SCV