sodium fluoride

Hi All I'm researching info on argon-arc welding of aluminium and aluminium alloys using flux powders of sodium fluoride for a school project. could someone tell me please when and why sodium fluoride flux would be used and what type of manufacturing is it used in - I'm getting some mixed info from the web and don't know whats what.... jpm

Reply to
gozman

David Billington

Aluminium needs to have its oxide film disturbed and prevented from re-forming. When electric welding the mechanical stirring effect of the arc is enough to break it up, and the shield gas (MIG or TIG) stops it forming again.

Flux is used for gas welding, or for brazing. These are quite agressive fluxes compared to those for brazing steel and they're based on fluorides (watch the toxicity hazard of hot fluorides). A flux is needed because gas welding doesn't have the stirring effect of the arc, and there's no shield gas even if the atmosphere around the flame is reducing (i.e. oxygen starved)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

thank you that helps clarify things - is it true that sodium fluoride paste can be used to 'clean' an aluminium surface of oxides prior to arc-welding? and would this be a common practice? jpm

Reply to
gozman

The fluoride isn't especially active. But when you heat it, it forms an active mixture, including hydrofluoric acid which is the toxic part. Used cold it's ineffective.

There are lots of aluminium pickles that are used before some processes (particularly anodising), but I'm not aware of any before arc welding. However I'm not an aluminium welder, so there may well be.

Reply to
Andy Dingley