Argon purge for SS welding

What is the best set up for providing argon purge from one tank?

thanks Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

You need to make up a backing plate with feed holes for the argon. Depending on your profile, these plate can be all different shapes and sizes. I normally feed them from a tee fitting at the regulator. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Steve: I should have said that I'm welding SS 1.75 exhaust tubing and I wondered if just a T at the point where the argon exits the flow gage and goes to the TIG torch combinded with a hose and a downstream small valve would allow sufficient flow/control? I know that the flow would continue past the TIG torch shut-off.

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Hi Stuart, I would T the line into the flowmeter and put a separate valve on. That way you can see if you are losing too much flow into the torch.

My present setup used another bottle with a regulator and flowmeter, but my spare bottle got traded for an Argon/C02 bottle, so next time I do a stainless steel job, I will need to figure something out.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
BobH

3 solutions I have used.

  1. Tank Splitter. This allows 2 flow gauges to be used on one tank. Works, but you have to be careful of leaks since the splitter is holding up to 2200 psi.

  2. Hose splitter for Argon line. This is the cheapest solution, but it makes it tricky to judge the flow going to each hose.

  1. Dual head flow-gauge. This is a pressure regulator with 2 ball tube flow gauges. I made my own, but you can buy them from Victor, Smith and others.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks. It looks like door # 3 is the one I'll go with. Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields