Purge command

Hello all, I have some drawings at work that when I purge them the size of the file actually increases! Does any one know why this happens??
Also I have 700 drawings (yes seven hundred, part of council house regeneration) that all need purging, does anyone know of a quick way to do this? Or is it a case of purging each one individually??
Many thanks for your help
Steve
"Clean" drawing files from a previous version of AutoCAD will often "grow" slightly just by being loaded and resaved in a newer version. It's just a function of Autodesk's ever-changing file format.
Batch purging can be done easily with a script. The script can even be generated by a LISP routine; for an example, see RESAVE.LSP at http://www.turvill.com/t2/free_stuff
... easily modified by adding PURGE All to the script-writing subroutine. ___