Back side purge for stainless welding

I have some 300 series stainless to weld and was wondering if C25 would be OK to use for the back side purge? I used to have a spare argon cylinder that I put a regulator and flow meter on for back side purge, but that is now a C25 cyclinder.

Thanks, BobH

Reply to
BobH

C25 would be very bad. The CO2 gas in C25 is not inert.

Nitrogen is a lower cost replacement for Argon, if welding Stainless, but not if welding titanium.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks, I was afraid you would say that...

I was hoping that I could squeak by with it as a back side purge, but I want this to be right.

Regards, BobH

Reply to
BobH