mystery object - what are these things

maybe someone here can tell

Bill Noble

Please provide us with your username and password so we can look at them.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

really? it needs a user name and password? how odd --- ok, let's do it this way:

here is a link to a photo of the things

here is the text I posted at that site asking what they are for:

These are marked "J522-13", the shaft attached to the knurled knob is 1/2 inch diameter, the bore is .625 for .200 inches, 1/2 inch thereafter. The knurled knob/shaft is captive. The rectangular steel piece is 1inch wide,

1.490 high, 3 inches front to back. Treated to produce black oxide, so these were nicely made, but what are they for?

and this

I don't think more views will help. The large knurled thing does not turn, it is a machined part of a 1/2 inch shaft that has a flat milled on it. The 'other thumb screw' tightens against that flat part. A pin, which you cannot see in the photo, retains the shaft in the bore so I can't pull it out.

I don't think it is part of a punch press, it's a bit big to be associated with ammunition, it just baffles me. Worse, I have two of them, whatever they are, and I'm afraid they are going to start breeding, and then I won't know what anything is for....

Reply to
Bill Noble

I am going to guess that the pin was a later addition and that the shaft with the knob was some sort of adjustable stop for a tool or fixture. At some point, somebody got tired of the thing slipping and drilled a hole to install the pin.

Reply to
anorton

The presence of a part number but absence of a manufacturer name/logo as well as the overall look, leads me to believe these were custom made tools. The number, obviously, to identify the tool. Probably something used for locating something or other during an assembly operation.

I've seen lots of things in surplus outlets, and estate sales, that were a total mystery. I like to admire and ponder, but usually walk away without a clue....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I can't! The site requires me to register and log in to view anything, and I refuse to do so.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

O.K. Now that I don't need to register, I've looked at the photo.

Hmm ... some observations:

1) The hole in which the knurled part is located appears to be teardrop shaped, with the thumbscrew coming in through the narrow end. 2) The thumbscrew's impression on the flat looks very like those on high school chem lab hardware from the mid 1950s. For that matter -- the body looks like something originally designed to fit on a chem lab stand with a 1/2" upright rod. 3) There seems to be some discoloration in the center of the end of the other one (which is knurled knob side down). Any clue as to what that might be? It looks sort of like a confinement for detonating something -- like the paper caps which used to be common in toy guns. 4) What material is the knurled knob? Test it with a magnet to see whether it is a normal steel, or some non-magnetic material. 5) Given the anti-rotation flat, it is not clear why the knob is knurled. Perhaps to align the flat the first time when it is assembled. 6) It looks as though the end with the thumbscrew was sawed off from a longer piece with a hacksaw -- and perhaps cleaned up a bit with a file. It does not have the finish of a commercially manufactured part.

I agree with both observations.

If they haven't bred yet, I think you are safe. :-)

It might be used as a pill press -- but would be better with some leverage to increase the pressure.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

********************** that is just an artifact of the photo - the holes are round - the knurled thing is machined on the end of a 1/2 inch shaft, it goes through a 1/2 inch hole which widens out at the end as noted above

that's not impossible, but I think it unlikely - the metal is pretty heavy for something on a chem lab stand. All that thumb screw does is press against the flat on the 1/2 inch shaft

looks like a shiny spot on the dimple left after parting off in a lathe - I originally thought it might be from doing whatever it was that it did, but upon further reflection I don't think so.

It is all normal steel, it's just that the shiny knurled knob is polished, the other stuff is chemically blackened.

or maybe it's for beauty - I agree, it makes no sense

the cut part is less finished, as you noted, I think it was probably a metal cutting band saw that made the cut - these do not look hand made. The part numbers are vaguely reminiscent of Lockheed part numbers, but most of their special tooling began with an "L"

I tend to believe that it has to do with aligning or holding something - if it was a press, the end of the shaft would have to be the same size as the hole, and it is not. Also, that little ring around the hole, which is visible in the photo should be a hint - but it isn't telling me anything useful - why would you machine that ring?

Answers interspersed with the questions above

Reply to
Bill Noble