can a Russian speaker tell me what these things are commemorating?

some commemorative pins, from an estate - are they related in any way? not sure what I have here, just curious.

Bill

Bill on Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:27:30 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I don't speak it well after all these years, but I can still puzzle some of it out.

From a quick scan, I'd say these are the pins you get as a tourist, or for being in a sporting event. The one with the seagull is from Sevastopol. I think the one next to it (dated 1993) might be from there as well. The one to the left of that one is also Sevastopol. As is the one in the upper left. The blue round one in the upper right is from a "Krelm" (Kremlin) but which one I can't make out. The kid running in the star is a medal for a "Boii Sportsmen" - no idea who or what. On the whole, looks like someone went to Sevastopol on the Black Sea, and all he got was some souvenir pins.

Four dollars is about right for them.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Most of them have a name of a town on them, one says "Warrior Sportsman".

Ignoramus19683

Does 'Voin' mean both generic "warrior" and "soldier" which implies obedience to a command?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I think that this is correct!

Ignoramus19683

"Jim Wilkins" on Wed, 9 Nov 2011 07:21:28 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Or a Russian equivalent to "Iron Man"?

As in "I was in a 'Warrior' competition, but didn't place.".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

English often has both an Anglo-Saxon (Germanic) and a Norman French (Latin) word for the same thing. Over time the connotations of their meanings tend to diverge enough that translators who don't know the difference can add unintended meaning. A classic example is the 'canali" that Schiaparelli reported on Mars, which were translated as (man-made) Canals instead of (natural) Channels.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Nov 9, 9:52=9Aam, "Jim Wilkins" wrote: ...

=D2=D5=D3=D3=CB=C9=C5 =C9=C4=D5=D4. :-)

DOC

Reply to
doc

The Russian word Voin means exactly tha same as Warrior.

Ignoramus19683

Top row: Sevastopol, Stariy Krim (Old Crimea - district of Feodosia I believe), Kerch (a "hero city" in Crimea), The last badge has Yalta and Crimea names but the writing that joins them is unclear.

Middle row: voin-sportsmen (soldier-sportsman, a badge awarded at three levels to soldiers participating in the military sports program known as GTO), 2 badges with the name "Livadinskiy dvorets" - a summer house of Alexander II, now a museum, and another badge with Sevastopol

Bottom row: Yevpatoriya (a city in Crimea), Sevastopol, Slet gorodov geroyev ("meeting of hero-cities" 1993 - presumably a badge to commemorate such convention. There are several "hero-cities" on the territory of the former USSR - Stalingrad and Leningrad are just two of them).

Hope this helps,

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

Ignoramus19683 on Wed, 09 Nov

2011 15:06:32 -0600 typed >> "Jim Wilkins" on Wed, 9 Nov 2011 07:21:28 -0500

Da, eta pravda. But , is it used as an idiom for "hard ass"? The kind of guy who runs twenty kilometers every day, barefoot, even in the snow. (Or is that an idiot?)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

thanks. I guess it's just a random mixture of stuff, I appreciate it. interesting that the pins (on the back) are not the stampings we are used to but bent pieces of brass wire soldered in place.

appreciate the help.

Reply to
Bill