can anyone look up a Clausing part number for me?

I have two tailstocks on ebay - one is supposed to be from a Clausing 10 inch lathe, one from a 12 inch lathe - but they are identical, so that can't be right - the main casting part number (the part that holds the quill) is

831-004 - is this for a 10 or a 12 inch lathe?

if you want to look at them, here are the links

?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=300309194620 I don't want to mislead a buyer, and I figured someone here would have each size of the lathe and so could confirm what exactly I'm selling

thanks

Reply to
Bill Noble

never mind - I found the answer - they are for a 12 inch lathe - the guy I got them from was able to look up the numbers - his comment "I would have been in for a rude surprise when I went to use that tailstock with my 10 inch lathe".

Bill Noble

We need more information -- or at least I do.

From the photos, they are not the style of tailstock which I have on my 12x24" Clausing (Model 5418). The locking mechanism is quite different.

The one for my lathe has a MT-3 taper. However, I also have another which fits the lathe, and has the proper center height which has a MT-2 taper and is lighter construction. I think that the difference there is that the MT-2 one fit an older 12" lathe with a 1-1/2"x8 spindle nose thread. Mine came with a 2-1/4"x8 spindle nose thread and could accept collet closers for 5C collets (which came with my lathe). I've since modified the lathe to use a newer L-00 spindle, FWIW.

The design of the locking mechanism might match some of the later Clausing Colchester lathes, or perhaps even an old 12" Atlas lathe.

Since the casting is so different, there is no point in my going downstairs to look at the casting number.

To get a better idea of the size of the lathe, draw a line between the flat way and the average height of the V way, and measure from that to the center of the tailstock ram. Multiply that by 2 to get the approximate swing of the lathe.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

thanks - I did exactly that meaurement, and there is no way the tailstocks fit a 10 inch lathe - what is interesting is that my friend who supplied these said he had one each 12 and 10 inch - but he was able to look up the part numbers and confirm that they fit a 12.

He also has an older clausing on a table (and it works, it wasn't in a fire) - if anyone is near los angeles and interested, email me directly and I'll put you in touch - I doubt that it is worth shipping anywhere. 1/2 hp single phase motor, belt drive, it has a back gear, a chuck and a different tailstock than I pictured in the ebay auction - he's got an old southbend also, and a little really really old (line shaft type) Oliver that gotta go too

Reply to
Bill Noble