Dakota update and related machining questions

I have been searching online for cylinder heads. Is this a good deal:

I had a few questions and appreciate you guys educating me. I am learning alot.

  1. I expected there to be a problem with either the gasket or head on the driver's side as there was coolant coming out of the firewall side spark plug hole. But was a little surprised both heads were cracked. I watched the guy do one. He used the magnaflux powder and a magnet. I know there are some shops that pressure test. I wonder if it is possible for a head to have a crack that would not cause a problem. Would pressure testing show a head as alright when magnaflux says it is cracked? Would it be wise to have one or both heads pressure tested? I am assuming that the drivers side is probably no good. The guy noted after thaking the intake valve off that there was rust in there. Still not sure if that is from the head or gasket.

  1. I could just have the passanger side pressure tested and if it showed ok only buy one head. It would cost me 30 bucks to have it tested. If it were good. Would it be acceptable to have one "new" head with a valve job and everything and one old head without a valve job? Would both heads need to be milled even if they are not warped so they are the same "height"?

  2. I know the proper thing to do is probably to rebuild/replace the engine. I am now just wanting to sell it at the local auction or possibly to an individual. There is a chance I may be downsized and I may have to drive alot farther than I am now to find a job. My idea is to take any money I can get and put it on something that gets decent gas mileage. Maybe an older civic accord with 100,000 or so on it. WOuld this be a reliable type vehicle?

ANyway I am just weighting my options. I really appreciate everyone's patience and help!

Reply to
stryped
[...]

If both heads are cracked, they was most likely massive overheating. I would check for a used engine at the wrecking yards. They do come with warrantees. But the warrantees do not pay for the swap labor. Get a low mileage one.

Reply to
Calif Bill

---------------------------------------------------- Yes, the heads could be cracked, especially between the valves, and still not leak. This is not unusual at all, and many good heads are scrapped dailey, because mag testing revealed superfical cracks. If there is no evidence of leaking past the valve, the crack could easily be insignicate.

  1. I could just have the passanger side pressure tested and if it showed ok only buy one head. It would cost me 30 bucks to have it tested. If it were good. Would it be acceptable to have one "new" head with a valve job and everything and one old head without a valve job? Would both heads need to be milled even if they are not warped so they are the same "height"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you do a valve job, do both sides. If you surface, do both sides equally. If you replace only one head from a salvage, check the casting numbers. If you can't find a match for your good head, buy and replace both. If you replace only one, check for surfacing to keep them equal. Is all this absolutley necessary, no, but for performance and fuel economy, it does make a difference.

  1. I know the proper thing to do is probably to rebuild/replace the engine. I am now just wanting to sell it at the local auction or possibly to an individual. There is a chance I may be downsized and I may have to drive alot farther than I am now to find a job. My idea is to take any money I can get and put it on something that gets decent gas mileage. Maybe an older civic accord with 100,000 or so on it. WOuld this be a reliable type vehicle?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's possible you simply had a head gasket leak. If so, you might be about to pressure check and replace the single head with good results. Shop for a good and HONEST machinest. He might save you a fortune. Visit a few different shops and ask questions before you spend more money. Don't just throw money at it. It will swallow everthing you throw whether you need it or not.

ANyway I am just weighting my options. I really appreciate everyone's patience and help!

Reply to
Tim