Bikelight done!!!

I've previously posted accounts of my adventures building a very bright wide-angle flashing red bikelight for my daughter who rides her bike in NYC. Being highly visible is at least as important a safety measure as wearing a helmet for a cyclist in traffic in NYC. She is no engineer, but she was able to describe exactly what she wanted and couldn't find at any price.

I had to learn some new skills and enhance older ones (TIG welding of thin aluminum to thick) to "meet the spec". That was part of the fun. Perhaps it was most of the fun, and why it took me so long.

This week I shipped a finished unit. I think she likes it.

Her comment:

Reply to
Don Foreman

Sounds like you have a kewl kid.

There will never be enough young Ladies riding bikes seriously.

And the pix of that light are where???? Don.

Lewis. (who rides a fixie)

Reply to
limeylew

Hey Don,

Yes, pix please of what you did, and of how LYL mounts it.

We see what we want and expect to see. And for car drivers that is other cars, not bikes and motor-cycles. And believe it or not, we sometimes miss big trucks and buses, although they do seem to reference in the brain a little more quickly.

Hi to Fitch, and glad to hear he has a "roof over his head".

Take care.

Brian Laws>I've previously posted accounts of my adventures building a very

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks, Don! And congratulations on raising a daughter to almost "30" in these trying times and esp. one that survives in NYC traffic. I'm sure Dad's special light will be a great adjunct to that survival. Pursuant to what you said about friends on RCM, I feel honored to be in that group. You have helped "proof" several projects of mine over the years and I have learned a lot from reading your posts. A Don Foreman "stamp of approval" is as good as it gets! We appreciate your news re. Fitch from time to time. Unfortunately, newbies to RCM will probably never share posts as good as those from earlier days when you, T-nut, Fitch and Pete Albrecht reigned supreme. My very best wishes.

Bob (not easily impressed) Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Have you seen the little led blinkers that screw onto the tire valve stems? Pretty cool I think they are called "Tire Flies"

Reply to
bamboo

No, but yesterday I saw for the first time a loooooong stretch limo which had those stupid huge "spoked" spinner things on the wheels. They look sort of like someone parted off the side of the wheel and mounted it on some kind of bearing.

They keep on slowly rotating long after the wheels have come to a stop.

My teen aged son told me a set of four costs over a grand. Go figger....

**************************

And, nice job Don, I'm sure it was a labor of love....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
tuben

And they are a heart attack waiting to happen. When you go though an intersection and out of the corner of your eye you see spinning wheels aimed in your direction...

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

Reply to
Gunner

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:44:03 +0100, tuben

Wo! Those are SERIOUS bikelights!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
Bill Cotton

Uh huh! Cool!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I learned that when, as a young guy, age of 24, I had a driver look me right in the eye, then pull out in front of me. I was on my '63 TR6 (Triumph) bike. He was driving a station wagon. From all indications, I wasn't there to him. He was looking for cars.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Eye contact is not a good predictor of a driver yeilding right of way. They look 'right through' the other vehicles often.

The best predictor is to watch the wheels on the car at the side street. If they are turning, the hubcap/hub pattern will be moving to your eye. Most cars have some kind of spoke pattern that provides a higher frequency visual cue when the car is creeping.

For oncoming cars waiting to turn left in front of you, the key is to try to visualize the tread pattern on the driver's front tire. If you can't see the tread pattern, the car is moving forward.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

and long will it take for this technique to be unlearned, given the hub spinners now becoming popular

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

No need to unlearn, around here at least the hub-spinner guys don't bother stopping at stop signs or red lights anyway.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:56:31 -0500, the inscrutable Jeff Wisnia spake:

He's DEFINITELY buying from the wrong vendor. They're $12 a pair here:

Yeah, Don. Well done. Now post the final pics, please!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK.

Don Foreman

You misread the post - Over a grand for the spinner wheels, not the silly lights!

Reply to
Stephen Young

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:12:38 -0600, the inscrutable Don Foreman spake:

Very cool. The simple $1,200 (labor) light! Your daughter is a lucky person.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've visited your website several times, Bill. Neat stuff!

If you haven't tried a 3-watt Luxeon in a reflector from a 2 D-cell Maglight, I recommend it. It makes a pretty impressive light. Pretty narrow beam, but it lights up treetops 100 meters distant. It compares quite favorably with a 6-volt Everready lantern. I used a Luxeon emitter (not a star) epoxied on a 3/8" dia aluminum post so it could reach inside the reflector to the focal point. There's a 2" square aluminum heatsink at the back of my post, but it could also be a disc of the same diameter as the reflector.

Reply to
Don Foreman