Quick release mount for bikelight (metal content)

I'm making very bright flashing red LED lights for my daughter to use on her bicycle while riding at night in New York City.

I had the light, elex, diffuser lens and rugged envinronment-proof "field grade" housing figured out OK. This flashing red light is equivalent in brightness to the flash/turn on a Chevy truck thru a range of 180 degrees.

The needed idea for the required simple "quick release" mechanism eluded me for some time. The idea finally arrived, as ideas do when they are damned good and ready, It took 4 months for this dirt-simple idea to occur to this mechanically-challenged EE.

The quick release is so the light will be held securely while in service, cycling being a contact sport in NYC with busses and taxis, while amenable to instant removal with gloved hands for theft avoidance while delivering a package, serving legal papers upon pinstripes (fun!) or just picking up some groceries.

Don Foreman

Very nice! As I always say "Finding complicated solutions is easy, finding simple ones is hard". The plating makes it even nicer. Four months is a bit long for the gestation, though. I'd suggest getting a dog and taking it on walks in the woods. It's a great way to give your mind time to mull over design problems.

A design question: why the third piece (the ring)? Why wasn't it integral to the outer/turning piece?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt