PCL quick release connectors

Does anyone know if these connectors are any good to use for vacuum applications?
TIA
Bob

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:45:50 +0100, Bob Minchin

I don't know for certain, but I strongly suspect that without significant positive pressure, they don't seal properly.
A Morse taper would work :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

Thanks Mark,
I suspected that might be the case. I saw a demo of a vacuum bag for veneering and from a distance, it looked a bit like a pcl connector betwixt bag and pipe off to the pump. I'll have to set something up and try it.
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

IIRC the basic seal is just an O ring and should work either way. A company I went to see once proudly proclaimed their vacuum degassing of mould material was done at 2 atmospheres, I didn't have the heart to tell the guy that was bollocks, 1 atmosphere maximum.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:22:12 +0100, David Billington

Nothing that an autoclave running at a few atmospheres can't fix.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:31:14 +0100, Bob Minchin

For that sort of use, I wouldn't expect any problems. I was thinking of "proper" vacuum :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:31:14 +0100, Bob Minchin

They aren't too far away from the design of genuine vacuum connectors although lacking an o ring won't help. There are some other designs of quick release pressure connectors (Euro?) that do have o rings that ought to work. I can see your motivation as the genuine article is bloody expensive to buy new.
On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 00:15:18 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

You could try one of those bags that women use compress blankets etc. into less space. You would need a good vacuum cleaner. I haven't tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
--
Neil - reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.

Neil wrote:

Those bags can sometimes be used but a vacuum cleaner is useless as it cannot run for hours on end as it needed with veneering/laminating glues. I need a long open time adhesive whilst the lay-up is assembled. I have been given some push fit pneumatic connectors (SMC?) to work with 6mm od polypropylene tubing. I've got a little vacuum pump now that will run continuously at -600mm Hg. All I need is some play time to try it all out. Should give about 11-12 lbs per sq in pressure on the workpiece (sorry about mixed units).
Bob