PCL quick release connectors

Does anyone know if these connectors are any good to use for vacuum applications?

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I don't know for certain, but I strongly suspect that without significant positive pressure, they don't seal properly.

A Morse taper would work :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks Mark,

I suspected that might be the case. I saw a demo of a vacuum bag for veneering and from a distance, it looked a bit like a pcl connector betwixt bag and pipe off to the pump. I'll have to set something up and try it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

IIRC the basic seal is just an O ring and should work either way. A company I went to see once proudly proclaimed their vacuum degassing of mould material was done at 2 atmospheres, I didn't have the heart to tell the guy that was bollocks, 1 atmosphere maximum.

Reply to
David Billington

For that sort of use, I wouldn't expect any problems. I was thinking of "proper" vacuum :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Nothing that an autoclave running at a few atmospheres can't fix.

Reply to
The Other Mike

They aren't too far away from the design of genuine vacuum connectors although lacking an o ring won't help. There are some other designs of quick release pressure connectors (Euro?) that do have o rings that ought to work. I can see your motivation as the genuine article is bloody expensive to buy new.

Reply to
The Other Mike

You could try one of those bags that women use compress blankets etc. into less space. You would need a good vacuum cleaner. I haven't tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Reply to
Neil

Those bags can sometimes be used but a vacuum cleaner is useless as it cannot run for hours on end as it needed with veneering/laminating glues. I need a long open time adhesive whilst the lay-up is assembled. I have been given some push fit pneumatic connectors (SMC?) to work with

6mm od polypropylene tubing. I've got a little vacuum pump now that will run continuously at -600mm Hg. All I need is some play time to try it all out. Should give about 11-12 lbs per sq in pressure on the workpiece (sorry about mixed units).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin