aluminum welding adventures

With a little help from a friend, I've discovered that my old Dialarc HF TIG machine really does work well down to 10 amps, and I can do stuff I previously thought well beyond the capabilities of either myself or the machine. I was never was sure which. Now I know. It's a new day for me 'n my TIG! What I learned is countrary to everything I've read, but it sure works for me.

If you're interested, more details and some photos at

Don Foreman

" aluminum welding adventures"

This reminds me of a long ago incident where a molten ball of aluminum rolled off the welding table & landed on top of my sneaker. Theres some adventure!

Reply to
Wwj2110

Nice job, now tell the group what that piece is gonna be...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Rugged, waterproof, theftproof very bright red flashing safety lights for my daughter who rides her bicycle in New York City.

Right now they just flash at a 3 Hz rate (below threshold for epileptic trigger) but I'm thinking about including a microcomputer chip so they'll flash short-short-short-short-long pause long-long-short-long which is morse code for 4Q. (say it out loud if it isn't obvious). She likes that idea a lot: a bit of New Yawk attitude there.....

My son the silicon peddler (also a cyclist) likes that idea well enough that a microcomputer development kit arrived in my mail this week! Geez, I may have to make a giant leap into the '80's and learn how to use these things. I haven't written assy code for 20 years but this should be simple enough even for me.

I gotta finish checking out Karl's brainbox for hobbing gears before I even open that uC kit.....

Reply to
Don Foreman

....or rolls into your shirt and sits in your belly button. That's REAL adventure. You can't lean forward because it will jam tighter and burn more area. And you can't pull at your shirt, cause pulling at your shirt may cause it to carry on below the belt line to find something else to sit on.

Heck I even hate it when a little tiny gob sticks to my watch band!!

Take care. All the time.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Couple questions: Were you using AC? If so, what % electrode positve? If not, what polarity? According to Ernie L and other sources, pure tungsten is of historical interest only. Zirconium doped is popular although Ernie mentions others as better still.

I shall have to try this approach. I have succesfully TIG'd .036" wall by 2"OD irrigation pipe at about 30 or 40 amps with a 1/16" zirconated tungsten but would like to extend my thickness range downward.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Reply to