Mystery tools - what the heck are these things

ok, I'm totally baffled - go to

formatting link
and click on "mysteries" -look at the first two items (those are the metal related items) and see ifyou recognize these things. The first one was a swap meet purchase - the vendor had no clue and neither do I, the second was an e-bay purchase that was advertised as a "height gauge" - it clearly isn't that (and I knew that when I bought it), but what do you think it really is?

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Ok...I will play at least a bit. The first item looks like a blade for scraping metal (cast iron) surfaces flat. Used fairly often for dealing with wear on lathe/surface grinder ways. I would guess that the "height gauge" is actually a press for locating a press-fit item in another piece. The pins on the support block would locate the work piece, and, the press is set to push another part into it to a precise point. The holes in the top might well be for locating pins on the top of the piece being pressed in place. Not a clue about what the diode is used for, but, that is not unusual. There are a LOT of special purpose electronic bits out there. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.