drill press help for newbie

I have some experience but this is a first for me: I'm not sure of the nomenclature but drill presses I've seen have a tensioner or spring that returns the chuck to the top of its travel. Am I explaining that right? A used one I picked up, made in Japan and appears well made, does just the opposite. If I want to drill something I have to rotate the handle "back" so the drill goes up, then I can bring it down to drill the hole. This just seems weird. Is there a way to reverse it and make it "normal?" TIA. snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net

Reply to
a6016

Are you saying that the spring forces the drill downward and you have to compress it to move the drill up and out of the way? Hmm...

If it is a spiral spring, you might be able to reverse it. Otherwise, I'd say you have a strange "autofeed" drill press on your hands. :)

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Know someone with a motorcycle in the NY Metro area?

Joe

Exactly. It's forced down. Kinda different, eh?

Reply to
a6016

They normally use a wound spring such as is found in a clock or a recoil starter for a smallengine. It may be that the end of the spring on this used drill press is broken. The spring is usually located opposte side of the handle, under a cover. Remove cover, being carefull that it does not fly apart on you and examine the spring ends. One end usually fits into a notch in thre cover and the other (inner) portion fits into the cross shaft of the handle. It may also be that it wa taken apart and reassembled wrong or it may have been made on a Friday or Monday in a china slave shop and it just turnedout that way, and only needs reversing.

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

Reply to
~Roy~

Tks, that's the answer. Looked closer and, voila, no cover, no spring. :-) Back to the seller it goes.

Reply to
a6016

Maybe it's Australian .. you know ... for "down under" ??

Reply to
Mike Fields