What are these things used for?

When I bought my lathe in an estate sale, it came with all kinds of hand ground tool bits and gadgets. Most of the stuff I could
identify, but there are a couple of items that I am not sure what they are used for. The pointy thing is approximatly 1.5" long and 0.1875 DIA (slight taper) with internal threads.
The other object is about 3" long with largest DIA of about 0.250
Pictures are at:
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/1.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/2.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/3.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/4.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/5.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/6.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/7.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/8.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/9.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/10.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/11.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/12.jpg
http://www.bsu.edu/web/jalbers/Identify/13.jpg

I'm not sure what these are either, but you should consider resizing the pictures before putting them on the web. I have a cable connection so downloading isn't too bad. People with a telephone connection won't bother to see the whole picture.
Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH
ERich10983 wrote:

Yes. I looked at two and said to self if he would have croped about 80% of the background I would have looked at the rest. :-)
...lew...

fit
I suspect it is mostly to help with the off balance problem. Single lip cutters are the only type of cutters that are easily and cheaply made (and sharpened) and can cut cleanly to the widths required by engravers. You are correct about them being less rigid. Most spindles run at 20 to 30 thousand rpm, so balance is important. The amazing thing that I find is that commercial single lip cutters are invariably flattened for at least 1/2" of their ends... thereby making the balance problem worse. The flat really only needs to be an eighth of an inch or so.... just enough to allow chips to get out. I suppose they do it to facilitate resharpening a few times.
I have made a number of half cuts with short flats, and they run considerably smoother. The spindles don't have to be rebuilt as often, either! I must have 2 or 3 hundred of these cutters left over from my engraving days. Mine are the long shank type (no tapers) that are a slip fit into the spindles. I also have a few collet type spindles.
Best,
Mark
Hey guys,
These upper photos looked more like graving tools to me. As Robin says, they wouldn't be for use in a mill. Possibly as lathe boring bars, but the multi-facet angles don't look correct. Maybe for some hand-held operation. Did anybody get an indication as to size? Maybe homemade scriber for a height gauge?
Due to slower modem speeds lately, I didn't view ALL the shots, but the later photos really do need a dimension or scale included. Could be extensions for a socket set or maybe knock-outs for centres in a lathe spindle, or ????
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Probably the only time I'm ever gonna agree with gunner on anything. Download the plugins too, then start looking for plug in filters on the net. That program can do a lot.
Another good one is called 20/20, shareware, I paid, don't like flashing ads on the bottom of the screen. Serif software has another bunch, commercial, fork over the dough, but as would be expected much more capable than most shareware. (Hint: phone order from Serif, much better prices than their web prices.) For 3D stuff, POVray, but you'd better learn to like typing code, even more if you want to do animations with it. Best raytracer on the market tho, and free to boot.
I've used IrfanView for quite a few years now. It's freeware, but I send $ occasionally to perhaps keeping it free in the future. Have not found a better, all-purpose viewer. I have several other commercial app's for manipulating images, but IView is the one used over 90% of the time.
Paul

On 31 Jul 2003 08:31:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com (Lennie the Lurker) wrote:

Just goes to show that God has a sense of humor.....
Gunner
"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs

Deckel type "S0" grinders can do them easily. New Hermes also made a cutter grinder to sharpen them. You are right about the tip; it is not on center. The relief is provided by grinding the cone only up to a certain point. A stop is provided on the grinder to prevent further rotation. The stop is adjustable to vary the relief angle. The relief angle is the angle between the flat and the cutting edge. It is very easy to make single lip ball mills with this type of grinder.
Actually, there is another type of engraving tool that does not use the above type of cutting edge at all... it is a faceted cutter that uses all negative edges, sort of like a rotating chisel. Since the cutting edges are all negative, it is quite strong, and is used on materials like stainless steel. Burnishing cutters use the same method, except that the angles involved can be around 120 degrees.... almost flat. The tool more or less polishes rather than cuts. They are frequently made from diamonds.
Mark.... (This was probably more than you wanted to know about engraving cutters!)

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ERich10983) wrote in message

For advanced effects, the commercials are probably more capable, but with 99% of photo editing being adjusting color, contrast, gamma, brightness, it's hard to beat Irfanview. Crop, resize, rotate, just a click away. Not bad for a student work. Good enough that it's listed as an external viewer by our own National Weather Service to view the surface maps. I've had as many as four copies running at the same time, cut and paste between copies, never had any problem with it. Just wish it had a transparent cut and paste, 20/20 does, but sometimes not too easy to get right. Downloaded a bunch more filters for Irfanview yesterday, haven't had time to play with them yet. Free is good. (Try Harry's filters, Metalic orion, on the mother in law. Interesting.)