what would these tapered rods be used for?

I haven't figured these out - they are on ebay now, but maybe somebody can tell me what they are used for

guess is that they measure the diameter of a hole, but is there another fixture that these go in, or ???

Reply to
Bill Noble

The look to be about the right size and taper for a boss in a diecast part. Perhaps they were used for inspecting the release taper of the mold cavity that makes the boss? Thee rods are too long for a cavity, but they are often through, with another part blocking the bottom and carrying the pin that will make the screwhole.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

well, that is possible, but I think unlikely - I think these came from HRL, which was a research laboratory, though they could also have come from one of the manufacturing parts of old Hughes Aircraft - but to my knowledge nothing was cast on site

Reply to
Bill Noble

I work in defense, and we do have things diecast. Often, we insist on owning the tooling, to avoid lock-in, and to support the typical 20 to 30 year lifetimes required by the DoD.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn