Cheap ebay Toolmaker's Vises

Does anybody have experience with the cheap, presumably Chinese, toolmaker's vises that are all over ebay? Is the quality good, awful, or so-so? So-so would be good enough for my current need.

For example...

?ViewItem&item=140092211510
?ViewItem&item=330097147516 Similar vises from Enco are about 2x the ebay prices, but still inexpensive.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

example...

?ViewItem&item=140092211510
?ViewItem&item=330097147516>

I have one like the second one listed. Very accurate. Very hard. Sliding jaw fits so close that it is difficult to reposition if you take it off! Very hand for use with small mill.

Reply to
jwdoylejr

Ned, I don't know a thing about toolmaker's vises, but I've bought several times from discount machine (the last two on your list). I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the stuff they sent me.

Steve

Ned Simm>Does anybody have experience with the cheap, presumably Chinese, toolmaker's

Reply to
Steve Smith

Ned,

You might want to look at the Sherline mill vice at

Robert Swinney

I also bought something of good quality (handle for kurt vise) from discount machine.

Ignoramus7931

Reply to
Mark F

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I just ordered a 1" and a 3" vise from Discount Machine. kc's advice on the mounting slots is right on point as I need to mount the vise on a 5" sine table. The 3" vise has slots on all 4 sides.

?ViewItem&item=330091691131 Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons