Any good suggestions for storage of horizontal mill cutters?

Ive got an excess of 50 horizontal mill cutters of all sizes and shapes

Ive been storing them in one of my IBM filing cabinets, but...they have been laying on top of each other, wrapped in paper..mostly...

Ive got a small but deep 10 drawer IBM type punchcard filing cabinet Ive considered using to store these cutters, but before I put plywood bottoms in the drawers..I thought Id pick some brains and see how others store their cutters. Id rather not have to unwrap/rewrap cutters in order to find the one I want. And Id rather not lay them on top of each other in disorder by tossing them into drawers.

Any suggestions for the best way to store em?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I was over at Gila Innovations the other day, and Mark had his cutters hanging on pegs next to his machine. (not pegboard)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cut slots in the plywood in the punchcard cabinet drawers, and store the cutters upright in there?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Sell them and use the proceeds to pay off your medical bills.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Sell them and use the proceeds to contribute to the "Libtard Retroactive Abortion Fund"!

Reply to
Buerste

I am slightly surprised by the small quantity of them in question, knowing Gunner, but I recommend a plastic bucket.

Ignoramus23708

Drawers are not tall enough. They are only about 4" deep..maybe 5. I could do some..but not most

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Sell my cutters?????!!!!

Nah..thats the fund I contribute to, when I sell puppies.

Each puppy, if sold for 10 dollars, contibutes to the death of 150 Libtards.

22lr cartridges are $15 for 500..and to be humane..one simply shoots the bastards twice in the back of the head.

Shooting them only once, tends to generate lots of medical expenses before they wrap em up and put em in the drawer.

Then there is fuel..shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Oh..I have more..but they need cleanup, are rusty, or are duplicates, etc etc.

The 50 or so in question are the ones Ive chosen for ready use.

Plastic bucket? Why dont I just tie them to the rear bumper of the truck and drag em around?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The truck doesn't work, just like you.

Reply to
Jessica Wabbit

Slanted back, at least for the disk-shaped ones?

I finally looked at your pic -- the brilliantly fancy way to do it would be to cut holes in the plywood to fit each cutter, lying flat on one end (or face, depending on if it's a disk or more cylindrical). "A proper place for every cutter and every cutter in its proper place" -- that'll last until you get cutter #51, of course. Then they could all be flat in the drawers and right there to see when you open a drawer up.

I liked the peg board suggestion -- get a piece of plywood (or crud board), drill a bazillion 1/2" holes and put in a bazillion 3 or 4 inch long dowels.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Indeed. Though Im not sure I have the room for a cabinet to hold them on dowels. Might be able to make something up out of 3/4 plywood with a door. My shop is unheated/uncooled and dusty as hell here in the desert.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You probably won't like my solution, but it does work well. I've dipped all my cutters in hot wax for protecting reground endmills. Then cut them out with a olfa knife on first use and slide them back in when done.

Then you can just pile them up and toss them around.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Some..some of them are indeed dipped, but I really dont have any sources of the rubberized wax. I could indeed melt but the material is hard to find here.

But thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Don't you have any metal posts holding up the roof? Weld large nails like a sunglasses rack...

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

In my inside shop...no, I dont. And I hate leaving precision cutting tools out in the dust and open air, here in the desert.

There has to be a Good Old Fashioned Way to store these things.

How did the Old Guys do it?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That is a good question, they weren't set up in the desert.

Yes, I guess your right, I was thinking that they were dry and not used much. Wood boxes with cardboard between them and paw through them like LP's. Use to be able to get cigar boxes for free out of the dumpster on the right day. Modified wood wine crates , staple gun and really thin plywood and cheapy hinges. Cut interlocking parts like cardboard separators for wine bottles. Look for cylindrical plastic parts with one end closed like when ya buy a stack of CD's. Then make a metal paper towel holder, hmmm that won't work.

Metal school lockers with the pins welded on each side inside, the door too.

sorry.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

They are scrap metal--and worth a few pennies per lb except where someone has an immediate use for one having some fairly specific geometry...otherwise, provided he's lucky, he might be able to unload 2 or 3 per month across ebay perhaps bringing in $15.00 or so each time.

Product designs and manufacturing processes which in the past had involved legacy horizontal milling machines and HSS wheel cutters have basically gone the way of the dodo--otherwise, the previous owner would still...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

When I had my Harding horizontal mill, I made a stout wire "peg" with a bent flat at the bottom to keep the cutters from sliding off. I stack the cutters on the peg about 6" high like a child's toy. I could pick up the whole stack with the loop at the top and put it in a big coffee can with some kerosene in it and snap a lid on.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Do you eat Gouda cheese? As you open each doorknob of cheese, save the wax, melt it (this cleans it pretty well) and use it for the dipping.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols