Cincinatti Horizontal mill

Hi, I am new to this group and thought someone out there might be able to help me. I have a cincinatti #2 MI horizontal mill and the table feeds don't work. they look like the want to move but wont. they move fine with the rapid arm all directions act the same xyz. Any Ideas? Thanks for any help. Koolkat101

Reply to
koolkat101

Cringe....you are going to have to pull the entire face off the front of table and see which gear ate the key. Its not as hard as it looks. Budget the entire weekend.

Rapid uses a different set of gears than does the feed. I just went through that with the same mill. Check your clutch pack on the right side of the knee..small box next to the transfer shaft. Sometimes the clutch pack goes out of adjustment..but...sigh..tis usually inside the kneed behind the speed/feed gear box on the front of the table.

Gunner A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Not sure what series you have but the first thing I would check is the oil pressure from the pump located in the knee. The other thing is the main drive rotating in the right direction.. there is an arrow on the main sheave that indicates the proper direction.

I am assuming that you have a hydraulic operated machine. Please verify and I will help you run through the checks.

John

Reply to
John

I've got an old Cincy#2, fully mechanical.

Does anyone know off-hand where I might find the manuals on the beast?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hi, Thanks to everyone for the info, I just got back on this project and am looking for a manual on this machine. It is a Cincinnati #2 MI serial # 2J2P1Y-177 The motor is turning in the right direction it pumps coolant and has a site gauge with a tube in it on the upper part of the mill and it shows no oil. but I do not know if it is a hydaulic operated machine or not. Thanks

Reply to
koolkat101

DO Cincy Milacron still not have info on their stuff?

Reply to
Brent

First place to look is ebay.

John

Reply to
John

\

I have worked on a number of later cincinatti's and have two # 5's sitting in the back for parts, but the mechanical ones I am not that familiar with. The first simple thing I would check is if it only feeds in certain feed settings or are they all not working. The rapid engages the power feed trane after the feed sprag over run clutch. In other words, engaging the rapid puts a very fast revolutions to the main feed drive trane and an override clutch allows the shaft to turn faster than the drive from the feed drive trane. If no feed settings work I would first check that the feed to the knee is working. This comes off the spindle shaft and drives the vertical shaft on the right side of the machine that supplied feed power to the knee through a right angle gear drive sliding up and down the splined shaft as the knee is raised and lowered. Check to see that this shaft is turning with the spindle running.

John

Reply to
John

Just noticed, thats a later model Milicron. I have a manual in the shop for that one. That should have a rapid motor on the right side of the knee. John

Reply to
John

Lloyd asked:

Unless Gunner jumps up with a source for specific manuals, you're probably out of luck. The book, "A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines" has some very good general information. It was published by Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. My copy dated 1951 was from the press of Cramer-Krasselt Co., U.S.A.. You can find them on the internet book stores, original and as reprints.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney