group's best tip

As you all know, I'm an RCM regular. I write queries for the ideas I wouldn't have thought of. I like readings other's posts for the questions I wouldn't have considered.

My vote for best idea I never considered was using a portable drill to tap. I just finished tapping about 200 holes in an electrical cabinet, not one broken tap and it only takes a second. What a time saver.

Next, I'll be crimping maybe 500 terminals with a crimper I learned about on RCM.

If you have the patience to fliter out the flotsam, this is a pretty good group.

thanks guys,

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Well said, sir.

Megadittoes!

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm with you. There are many good tips, on this group.

I learned the value of cordless drills in 1985. Worked for a fellow who used them for drilling holes, turning screws, and also threaded taps. Bit of WD-40 on the tap and reverse direction frequently.

For next week's lesson, we'll discuss creative ways to find 110 VAC when using corded drills.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Assistance that I got from you and others during my CNC retrofit, was invaluable.

Ignoramus16025

The tech stuff is good, Don Foremans tales make great reading - I look forward to them.

Reply to
Dennis

Karl Townsend wrote: (...)

Especially true for modern 'screwdriver / drills' that stop the chuck quickly when you release the trigger. Works a treat.

In the future, I'd like to see 'tapping mode' available as an option on battery drills:

Light chuck pressure: Motor CCW at trigger speed Heavier chuck pressure: Motor CW at trigger speed A knob on the side would adjust the pressure threshold.

It'd make tapping even easier and make hole drilling faster, too.

That one got past me. What crimper is that, Karl?

Indeed.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

NO, KARL, IF YOU HAVE THE PATIENCE TO FILTER OUT THE FLOTSAM, THIS IS A FANTASTIC GROUP!

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Portable drill? My dad used to use a 3/8" drive air impact wrench.

!!!!!!

It makes me cringe, now, to think of it, but we didn't often break taps, even though we were tapping into weldments.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Did he grunt and yell 'More power'? ;-)

Flying, broken taps are definitely cringeworthy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The dynamics of impact drivers are interesting, comparing a regular drill with driver bit to an impact driver with driver bit, the impact driver will drive longer screws into harder materials and with far less broken screws than the drill. I expect similar applies to taps.

Reply to
Pete C.

I use a cordless drill to tap holes up to 10-32 or so, it works fantastically well. Never broke a tap this way.

Ignoramus16025

Oh boy, I don't have a link. its a rachet type crimper that I bought from Mcmaster carr. Many suggested the harbor freight unit.

I had used a pliers type for years, not knowing of this better unit.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

It's a good group for anyone who

(1) has the patience to filter out the flotsam and (2) lacks other superhuman traits such as omniscience

I like tapping with a cylinder-shape electric screwdriver, actually; even if it twists in my hand, it does so on-axis and the precious tap doesn't go snap.

Reply to
whit3rd

True, but when an impact driver breaks a piece of metal there is a lot more energy released. I've seen broke wheel studs fly half way across a parking lot when they broke. Luckily, it wasn't from my truck and that no one was parked in the marked area. The place did big trucks & tour buses.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OK thanks anyway.

I've also experienced the opposite, where the old pliers - type actually made a better crimp than an (admittedly cheap) pair of ratcheting crimpers.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Ive used a "butterfly" with some sucess with taps.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Up, cordless drills with the clutch that lets you set max force is awesome. I've tapped panels that way for almost two decades.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I agree, the rachet is really great for the exact wire size with the exact connector. Do something a bit non standard, pull out the plier unit.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl, look into a "Handworker" to operate the plier type crimper. They are air driven tool holder/operators. We used to do many cutting/ crimping jobs and had two handworkers. Sold one to a customer for his crimping work.

The ratchet crimpers are ok for us guys with big hands and strong grip, but my lady assemblers quickly got hand cramps from the ratchet crimpers.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Great!

At 500 terminals, you probably would benefit from a compressed air powered one. (Less chance of RMI.) I picked up a nice one at a hamfest this summer, with crimp head for 22-16 Ga wire (red terminals), and I have a second head for 16-14 Ga wire (blue terminals). For 12-10 Ga (yellow terminals) I am still stuck with muscle power. :-) All AMP brand -- my favorite.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols