Millrite Spindle Saga

In August 2010, I dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled the spindle on my Millrite MVI vertical mill. The original postings were titled "Millrite MVI spindle bearing repair - first report".

I took notes and some pictures as work progressed, and the result (the second report I suppose) has been uploaded to the Dropbox.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

That was a nice write-up! I wonder if you could have included pg 38 from the Maintence Manual that you obtained from D.C. Morrison. That might have helped the story. Maybe you didn't include it because it was copyrighted.

Reply to
Denis G.

I enjoyed those pictures and commentary.

Good job!!

xman

Reply to
xman

I don't recall that it's copyrighted, but why page 38 versus the other pages?

It would require a very good scan to allow sufficient detail to be seen.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

You had mentioned items on pg 38 a few times early in the story when you talked about how the motor was attached, etc. I thought that pg

38 might have the parts breakdown of the machine. It could have helped to see what you faced.

No matter, it was a good story. I hope that you will tell us if you discover the cause of the run-out problem.

Reply to
Denis G.

Yes, interesting project.

My SWAG is that (if it's not a bent spindle) it's play in the bearings which might be taken up with shims, and that he already knows that. But I doubt it's the simple procedure it sounds.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It does have a simple parts breakdown drawing, as do many of the other pages mentioned.

Basically there is a horizontal plate that at one end is bolted to the millrite head and at the other end the motor mount is bolted to (with provision to change the distance between spindle and motor rotation axes, so one can change the spindle speed by moving the drive belt up and down between cone pulley grooves).

Thanks. I'm still figuring out how to measure runout despite the use of imperfect (=cheap) tools. One cannot improve what one cannot measure, so this step is essential. The beginning of this process was posted in September 2010 in the thread titled "Mathematical analysis of Rollie's Dad's Method". I had been distracted by my day job, but will soon return to matters of runout.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn