Thanks to group: car starter info

Today my wife called, the '96 Suburban wouldn't crank. Her car is down at my brother's 4 hrs. away (long story). Neighbor took me down. Battery o.k., terminals clean. OK, crawled under and whacked starter with hammer. Started right up. Tomorrow I'm getting a new starter. Thanks to this bunch for that tidbit on a recent thread. I've changed a lot of starters in my time, never tried just bashing one before.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Glad to hear you got it started, but you drove 8 hrs to whack it with a hammer? Surely there was somebody there who could have done that!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Keep in mind a similar tactic often works on failed 'in tank' electric fuel pumps.

Just slap the bottom of the tank a time or two... you certainly have nothing to lose.

If successful, don't put off doing the pump; it's now on borrowed time.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I've never tried that. But heard from others who have. She's fortunate to have a caring husband such as yourself.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nah, probably just easier than the prospect of doing his own cooking & washing.

Reply to
Dennis

Whacking is potentially not a good thing if you have a PMGR (permanant magnet gear reduction) starter as you can break the magnets.

If you get sticker shock at the price of a new one, consider overhauling the old one.

Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RS at work