Robo-One Parts

Has anyone built any Robo-One type servo brackets? I'm really interested in building a Robo-One but about fell out of my chair when I saw the $4500 price tag for a kit. The new HiTech Robot Servo is nice but at $110 ea is pretty pricey. Especially when you need 17 or more of them.

Reply to
Bob Waters

hello, i'm italian and i built a humanoid robot. you can see at

"Bob Waters" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Jodinsky

Bob,

I have been working on my "Robo-One" style bot on and off for about a year. Here is a link to a page with some pics of some of my stuff. It's not pretty, but I'd rather spend the little time I have on the bot rather than the web page. I'm on my third generation design, and I'm starting work on the fourth generation. It might actually make it past the leg stage!

I agree about the new Robot Servo. It's really nice, but the price tag is just too high especially if you need a bunch of them. My legs alone take

12!

Did you see that sozbots is selling one (the "KHR-1") for about $1700? Still a little steep, but it's right in the ballpark of what I'm spending to build mine.

I'm planning to check out that servo the KHR-1 uses. I'm wondering how they get by with the little 6V 600mah NiCd battery. I'm using a JR Extra 5-Cell

6V 1800mah NiCd pack. It does well if the bot just stands there, but when it starts moving, the battery is drained in just a few minutes. In any case, my final design will have a way to physically change to a fresh battery. I'll bet that more robo-one contests are won/lost by efficient/inefficient battery use. Easy to be the last man standing when all the others batteries just gave out!

--Steve

Reply to
Steve Bates

Can you provide a link to the HiTech Robot Servo ? I haven't been able to find one on the net via Google. Thanks!

Reply to
jc-Atl

Lynxmotion is selling them but currently out of stock. I saw another site selling them but the price was through the roof. I suspect that the price will come down a bit when more distributors get in on the act. Guess it's too new to be widely available.

Reply to
Bob Waters

Found some at this site. Maybe the exchange rate from Dollars to Yen is driving the price but I'm not paying $70 ea for a servo bracket

Bob Waters

Good grief! I hope it includes the servo at that price.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve Bates

No servo included. Maybe we need to get all the Robo-One people to go in on an order to E-MachineShop and have a bunch of brackets made up. I don't think it would cost much to blast those out on a water-jet cutter.

Reply to
Bob Waters

I paid about $125 for 20 of the "servo shells" that I had made for my bot as seen here:

I just got the call that the CNC shop has my new design parts ready. They only did a sample run of 4 or 5 and have not given me a price yet. If they work and the CNC price is reasonable, I'll have them make up a bunch and offer them for sale at a reasonable price.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve Bates

I'm not specifically familiar with the robo1 brackets, but these 2 companies sell a variety of servo brackets ...

- dan michaels

======================

Reply to
dan michaels

Hello J. Very nice mechanical work on that. Looks like you're controlling it from a PC via a slave servo controller. What are you using for a power source, for those of us who don't speak much italian? What is the total weight so far?

thanks,

- dan michaels

======================

Reply to
dan michaels

Hi Steve, someone on yahoo robotics club said he has a KHR-1, and the batteries give him about 20 minutes of service, but 600 mAh is just so small for 17 servos, so ????? I've been working on an 16-servo octopod, and using 2300 mAh NiMH's, and it doesn't get much more time than that.

Looking at your biped, it has some really nice mechanical work, like Jodinsky's biped also has. I imagine all that metal rolls up the weight quite a bit. My octopod weighs about 70 oz [2000 gm], mostly for the servos, batteries, and legs, which have a very minimal amount of metal on them. The aluminum deck is 14 oz, which seems like something I can address regards weight reduction.

So, I'm thinking that so much metal on the bipeds must really run the weight tab up very fast. We pretty much have the same power vs weight vs battery problem here that the electric motor RC planes have.

- dan michaels

==========================

Reply to
dan michaels

Dan, I'm planning to move to NiMH batteries soon for better power per weight. I can't figure how they get 20 min out of 600mAh either. Especially for 17 servos...

I don't have a scale, so I'm not sure how heavy mine is. I have 12 servos on the legs and I'll have another 10-12 for the upper body. Weight and a few other considerations is why I am working on a new servo bracket. I went over to the CNC shop today and they had made a mistake so they are going to re-do them. I hope to see them next week. The thing I like best about Jodinsky's biped is that it is complete. If I keep improving things at this rate, I'll never have a complete bot! I wanted lots of degrees of freedom to work with, but in the long run it may be that removing a few servos will make a big enough weight difference (and $ difference) to justify the loss of a few DOF.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve Bates

--I thot the original concept of this was that the patterns were freely downloadable, but I have yet to find a link to a site that has them. IIRC when I talked with a Robo One builder last year he said that one could literally print out the parts, glue the paper to sheet aluminum and, basically cut (mill?) on the dotted line, then bend the same way. Is this not an option? Harrumph.

Reply to
steamer

Now that's what I want to see. Anybody know about this?

Reply to
Bob Waters

Found the patterns or at least some patterens here.

Bob Waters

I used to have a scale, but it broke, of course. Now I take my parts down to the post office and surreptitiously weigh them on the postal scales when no one is looking ;-). Accurate to under 1 oz.

What I found was that you can easily overpower your servos as the weight goes up, just by including the "minimal" amount of structure, and all the bipeds seem to have a lot of metal on the legs/etc. Once you get those legs together, with 3 or so servos linked in series, you suddenly have a very long torque arm to deal with. Std servos working against a 6" torque arm gives you only 44/6 = 7 oz to work with. And one leg has to hold up the entire machine. Nice thing about multi-peds is several legs can share the load.

- dan michaels

=========================

Reply to
dan michaels

dan michaels

Robovie-M is pretty cool. It walks just like and looks like a chimp. Long arms almost scraping the floor, used for dynamic balance.

- dan michaels

Reply to
dan michaels

Good idea.

I'm using Hitec HS645MG servos with 133 oz/in torque at 6V. That's around

22 oz per leg to work with. The MG is for Metal Gear. They also have a nice bearing in them. Absolutely necessary for the conditions a biped subjects them to. Also the "Servo Saver" is a great gizmo, but gives up too easily under my biped load.

Those little 44oz things barely even work for a good pan and tilt.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve Bates