group's best tip

Toss in a combination drill and tap and you are in even better shape -- make the hole and tap it in one operation. The real trick, of course, is avoiding putting side stress on the tap via the drill motor. A scaling of the size of the drill motor to the size of the tap helps with this.

We've had discussions about crimpers in the past, and I know that I have put my oar in the water during those. :-)

Let's hear it for good filters.

I come in with 500 articles promised, and when the filters are done, I currently see about 45 articles or so. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That's what the compressed air powered crimpers are good for. AMP heads, perhaps a counterweight and pulley, and a foot switch for the air. When you're up near 500 terminals, it is about the time for such a tool -- especially if you expect to do it in one day or two.

Here is an auction for just the power unit:

380183531380

$65.00 buy it now is not bad -- if you can find the die heads to go with it.

No matching die heads available on eBay at the moment, however.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

(...)

Yup. I learned how to create better filters in Seamonkey. The good news is I don't see any more crap from spammers using gmail or crossposters from some of the wackier groups. All I need now is a way to program exceptions so that valuable posts from people who also happen to use gmail don't get tossed out with the bath water.

All in all though, it makes RCM appear quite a bit smarter and very much quieter. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

What do do when you get the hickups?

Reply to
CaveLamb

Use NewsProxy (AKA Nfilter) to prefilter newsgroups. It has an option to flag messages. Set it up not to flag the posters you want, and flag the rest. (I flag them as GOOG) Then mark the flagged messages as read on most newsgroups. A few get a lot of newbie traffic, so I look at the screen before opening the next message. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(...)

(...)

Thanks, Michael but: I'm looking for 'quick and simple' I'm running Linux

I suppose I could 'whitelist' by putting known gmail 'good guys' at the top of the sort stack and then do a 'stop filter execution' if any one of them show up.... Hmmm.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

When we get stumped at work, somebody inevitably says: "Ask your newsgroup buddies!" and many of the group's ideas are built into my machines. I'd like to think we have reciprocated to some small extent.

Reply to
Buerste

If that doesn't work, I have the latest source code for newsproxy if you need to recompile it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(...)

OK.

I'm gonna try the 'quick and dirty' first.

Thanks again.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Good luck. :)

You're welcome, as always.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"I suppose I could 'whitelist' by putting known gmail 'good guys' at the top of the sort stack and then do a 'stop filter execution' if any one of them show up.... Hmmm."

That worked a treat! Both Denis G and Karl Townsend made it through my gmail filter unscathed. That'll do.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Well ... quick and simple is probably not this -- but take a look at slrn (generic unix newsreader with scoring and filtering. I have scorefiles set up to kill on a lot of things, including cross posting (more than three newsgroups) and by "NNTP-Posting-Host: ", which kills off a lot of the spam from China, Korea, India, and so on.

There is one thing which I do follow which is cross-posted to three newsgroups (the "What is It?" puzzle photos), so I simply set up a strong positive score for that "Subject: " and the individual poster to counteract the negatives for the cross-posting.

As an example -- near the very start of the scorefile:

====================================================================== [rec.crafts.metalworking] Score: =-9999 Newsgroups: .*,.*,.*,.* ======================================================================

and a couple below which cancel the cross-posting restriction:

====================================================================== [rec.crafts.metalworking] Score: 150 Subject: What is it\? Set.*

[rec.crafts.metalworking] Score: 400 Subject: What is it\? C.* ======================================================================

and an example of the "NNTP-Posting-Host: "

====================================================================== [*] Score:: =-9999 NNTP-Posting-Host: 110\.3[6-9]\. NNTP-Posting-Host: 112\.11[1-9]\. NNTP-Posting-Host: 111\.119\. NNTP-Posting-Host: 112\.120\. NNTP-Posting-Host: 112\.[89][0-9]\. NNTP-Posting-Host: 112\.10[0-3]\. NNTP-Posting-Host: 113\.[5-9][0-9]\. ======================================================================

*lots* more below those.

Note the double ':' past "Score" in the above. That means that you can have multiple possible matches, instead of passing or failing on the first line.

At the very beginning, we find:

====================================================================== [rec.crafts.metalworking] Score:: =-9999 Newsgroup: misc\.survivalism Newsgroup: alt\.politics Newsgroup: talk\.politics\.guns Newsgroup: alt\.rush-limbaugh Newsgroup: alt\.fan\.rush-limbaugh Newsgroup: alt\.aol\.tricks Newsgroup: alt\.usenet\.kooks ======================================================================

which gets rid of a lot of what I don't want cluttering rec.crafts.metalworking.

Note that I am interested in guns, but not the politics of juns, and *certainly* not in rec.crafts.metalworking.

It is a very powerful newsreader, so it means that there is a lot to learn -- but it is worth the trouble, and it is linux and unix friendly.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I do something similar. I killfile a few specific dumbasses and any followups to their posts. In addition, I killfile anything crossposted to alt.machines.cnc and misc.survivalism. Lastly I killfile everything from googlegroups, except a few specific posters. This greatly cuts down on stuff that I personally do not care to see.

Ignoramus16025

(...)

Wow! Thanks for the information and examples, DoN. They will be really valuable if my current work-around eventually fails me.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

But whitelists are only used in email progs, not news, aren't they? Tbird doesn't have one.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tbird lets you build one, sorta.

Ferinstance, the first five entries in my filter list are the nyms of RCM'ers that have '.gmail.com' addresses in their From: field and are excellent people who behave like adults.

I define the same action to be taken for the first post detected from any one of these people. That is, 'Stop Filter Execution'.

So, the first time Jim Wilkins posts for example, SeaMonkey will stop filtering and let his post through because it will stop inspecting based on all the subsequent criteria before it gets to my rule to ignore anything posted from a .gmail.com address.

I didn't describe it well, but it does appear to work.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yup. SeaMonkey allows me to define my own criteria in addition to their 'canned' filters. I defined 'Organization:' as a criteria.

RCM now appears much more civilized, without a bunch of cross posted political junk cluttering up my screen.

Winston Liiiike.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Some years ago, I was installing some control modules. The "girls" at the factory had put butt connectors on the ends of the wires. The girls had crimped the butt connectors twice. One end was on the wire, the other end was crimped shut. I called the place, and gave them a few choice words.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know about it being the best idea I've ever found here, but this one certainly saved me a lot of hassle recently:

When using a holesaw, particularly in a hand drill, and especially "off angle", drill the 1/4" starter hole first. Then replace the standard drill bit in the holesaw mandrel with a piece of 1/4" rod (rounded or pointed first).

The rod will keep the saw centered better, and won't bend or break as easily as the bit.

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Thanks, Glenn. Good idea.