Bond AL heat sink to P3 cpu

My CNC computer is dead. So I bought another off Ebay. It came today. The AL heat sink has come off the P3 cpu. I need to bond it on again. What should I use? I'm tempted to just use some Epoxy adhesive I have on hand, but maybe it don't give good heat Xfer. There's only a 3/8 by 1/2 inch area to bond.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Is it a slot II P3 or a socket 370 type? If it's in a socket you should have a retaining clip for the heatsink unless it's a very cheaply built PC; if so, buy a new heatsink from PC World. If it's a slot II design, you will need a glue; Loctite make a range of thermally conductive acrylics for just this purpose, look at

you can't obtain that, try getting some silver loaded epoxy as this is highly thermally conductive. Don't use normal epoxy, it's a good insulator and the heatsink will not do its job. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

A little more inspection, and I get how the heat sink was held in. There's a little plastic snap yoke with an over center lever to apply pressure. One of the sides of the yoke has broke off. Where the h%^& would I get this? FWIW, there's also a a lever that releases the P3 chip.

I have no clue as to wheather this is called slot2 370 or what. Its a P3 1 GHz box.

I'll try to bond the little piece of plastic that broke off, but it ain't goin' to work.

By chance has anyone got a junk PC that has this part?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl, You can probably pick up an aftermarket clamp at Frye's.

Reply to
J. R. Carroll

Last time I did this was a 486 and the heat sink/fan combo had been held on with double sided tape which, after 5+ years, had dried out and released it's hold at the slightest touch. My solution was to clean thoroughly and apply thermal paste then hold in place with an inverted "W" spring with sharpened hooks on the ends turned to clear all contacts but still catch the ceramic body of the chip Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

If the barb has broken off the CPU socket, you need a new socket, but changing one without the proper equipment for board rework, will most likely be unsucessful.

The CPU socket pins pass thru several layers of imbedded board traces (not just the ones you can see). Even a skilled technician with a high-dollar desoldering station would probably fail at a task like this.

You would be further ahead getting another board, than to try replacing the socket without the proper equipment.

The alternative is to use a bonding compound for this purpose, or the double-sided heat transfer tape. Consider the heatsink to be permanently bonded. You will want to choose a heatsink style that will allow you to easily adapt another fan to it, in case the existing heat sink fan fails.

WB ................

Reply to
Wild Bill

Karl,

Since the heatsink is already off and the clip is broken, carefully (absolutely no static electricity, etc) clean processor chip and then you should be able to read Mfr. etc. Call or check some PC supplier such as TigerDirect and order a heatsink/fan combination for your specific processor chip. Cost somewhere around $40.00 ??????? Follow instructions carefully on how to install, using a good quality "silver thermal compound". You can probably find it at Circuit City.

If heatsink/fan not installed properly, you can fry the processor on the 1st powerup.

Good luck, Ace

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:d3yEe.2885$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Ace

Send me a .JPG of the clip

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

You already do. It's disguised as a paper clip in your desk. Bend it to fit.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Fry's will likely have a new motherboard and maybe a new processor for the time and cost of repair.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

duct tape