Slightly OT - Table saw and dust collector

Hey all,

I work in a shop that uses a table saw and there is a dedicated dust collector attached. The pain in the butt comes in when turning them both on, you have to turn each on separately and the switches aren't next to each other. The saw runs on 3 phase 240, the Dust collector is single phase 120 (can be rewired to 240). The saw has a magnetic switch with extra contacts. I was thinking of wiring a female end of an extension cord into the saw's switch to plug the d.c. into. What's the preferred way of getting 120 or 220 single phase from the 3 phase coming into the switch?

Thanks, Eide

Reply to
Eide

Hi Eide, I don't know if it's acceptable but using the two low legs of the 240 circuit should get you 220 single phase. I've seen contactors, however, which, although they have extra contacts, do not rate the contacts high enough to carry enough power to run a d.c. These contacts can, however, be used to operate a contactor which will power your d.c. system. I believe this is the accepted method and will probably get you through an electrical inspection. I'm not an electrician so I'd suggest you find one. Good luck, dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Hi, Eide. My brother set his wood shop up so a remote control turns on the Grizzly dust collector. I am sure it's run on 220v. Check the Grizzly catalog or perhaps other wood working equipment catalogs for a similar remote. He has it clipped to his shirt and punches it just before turning on the table saw.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

I'd just use a remote for the dust collector:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Thanks rigger, I'll get my testers out and see what I come up with. I was hoping someone had done something similar. Eide

Reply to
Eide

--Woodcraft stores sell a remote on/off switch for just this purpose. It clips to a pocket, so it's real handy. Can't remember cost but it was pretty reasonable. --As for controlling specific gates in a series of ducts there is an electric gate system on the market but it's *really* pricey, plus I think the idea of an electrically-controlled device in an area where static might be a problem is a Bad Idea. I run my gates with pneumatics; costs about $50.- per gate in parts. You'll need a pneumatic toggle switch, some tubing, a double-acting cylinder with about 4" travel and of course a source of compressed air. Looks kinda silly but works really neat.

Reply to
steamer

--Oh yeah; forgot the link:

--Pneumatic retrofit starts at Photo #7.

Reply to
steamer