Buying a lathe blindfolded

Most Monarch lathes have the actual machine weight on the data plate.

A 10EE has a 5HP motor. I think that lathe has a relatively low top spindle speed, less than 1000 RPM, so 10 to 15 HP is probably in the ballpark.

I imagine the motor is wired

There are plenty of VFDs up to atl least 30HP that can be single-phased. Some mfrs don't say so unless you ask -- Yaskawa is one that does specify in their literature which drives will operate on single phase.

It's not so much the expense of the box that

For the stuff I do the low spindle speed would be a problem, you should evaluate whether you can live with it.

You'd have to look at the motor and determine whether it's a proprietary mount.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

This is a typical gear-head lathe with a regular 3 phase induction motor drive. No variable speed.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Where are you located? Just want to know where there are all these Monarchs for sale.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0If I can get

564
Reply to
Vernon

O.K. I didn't know that they made any like that.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Possibly simpler, as long as you don't mind having "steps" in the speed control, would be to use an 8-bit (256 steps) or 12-bit (4096 steps) analog-to-digital converter on the wiper of a pot fed with a stable reference, digital lines to the address lines of a pair of EPROMs (or a trio if you go 12-bit) with suitable values burned in, each of their sets of data outputs run back to the inputs of a pair of 8 or 12-bit digital-to-analog converters to get the pair of voltage curves you need from a single pot - I've used this a couple of times to get weird pot laws. With EPROMs you can blank and reprogram a few times to get exactly the characteristic you need, there are "digital potentiometer" ICs that you could use instead of the DACs, too.

Dave H.

Reply to
Dave H.