Call me nuts: turning in a mill :-)

Hi!

You know they sell those books: "Milling in a lathe". Today, I have written (kinda) "Turning in a mill":

I _had_ to do that flywheel, and I _knew_ it was too big for my -I call it a- lathe.

Think!

A mill is just a reverse lathe. Or so. Bore a hole into the flywheel (boring head), turn an adapter that fits into the hole and a mill holder (the ones for the bigger mills with a bore inside), put the tool er ... work piece into the spindle. Next step, clamp the vice on the mills table, clamp a propriate tool bit from the lathe in it and ... TURN!

You have all you need: Feed in two axes, lots a power, very stable setup. You get: bad sight on the underside, a super finish and a _huge_ lathe ideal for flywheels.

Man that was fun and a super result. Now I know I can turn flywheels about 500mm diameter in my mill.

The other funny experience was, that what they sell as wheigh tlifting disks are in reality the cheapest flywheels you can get.

Earned me a beer now ... Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

(...)

Excellent, Nick!

Now where did I put that 3 jaw chuck I welded to that R-8 arbor?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Nick Müller wrote: [snip]

I'll vote that "idea of the year" - so far, anyway :-)

Reply to
David R Brooks

NOOOOOOOOOO!

for gods sake do not just grab something semi-round and think it will work as a flywheel, the day it bursts those who live through it will regret your lack of engineering rigor.

I cannot stress this strongly enough.

There are scrapyards full of flywheels, made out of an appropriate material.

You MUST KNOW THE YIELD STRESS of your flywheel material, that word is KNOW, as in FOR A FACT, as in you have absolute knowledge of the precise composition of the material it is made from.

Hand on heart, I would MUCH rather take my (minimal) chances standing in front of a handgun bullet in preference to standing in front of a bursting flywheel.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Somehow, you are right. But it suvived the 100 RPM on the lathe er ... mill _with_ cutting forces. So it will not crack at 200 RPM on the engine (that will be a _sloooow_ running 4 stroke).

BTW, it was a very nice machining CI.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

A few years ago, before I got my CNC lathe, I had a small job to turn some plastic parts. I didn't want to do it on my manual lathe, so I did something similar with my CNC knee mill. It wasn't as rigid as a lathe, but since I was just turning plastic, it did OK. The hard part was programming it. I had a hard time getting it in my head which way to move the table. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Where are these scrapyards? Any in the UK? I wish I could find a second hand flywheel for my phase convertor experiments.

Tough call here, but I think I'll go with Guy. An exploding flywheel would be pretty unpleasant.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

"Christopher Tidy" wrote >

Where are these scrapyards? Any in the UK? I wish I could find a second

Autos with stick shifts have flywheels. Got any auto junkyards in the UK? Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Hi, Nick. There used to be a machine shop near my plant. When they closed and auctioned off most of the equipment, I saw a VERTICAL LATHE on the floor. It was made in Germany, but I don't remember the name. As I recall, the thing was about 15 ft. tall and perhaps 6 ft. across.

Looked just like a lathe, but on end. They used it sometimes to make components for titanium casting molds.

Interesting to watch the heavy equipment movers get it out of the building and onto the truck.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

aye, I don't know that many people who have stopped a bullet, but most of them survived, I know of a far smaller number that stopped bits of revolving machinery past yield point, and none of them survived.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

I learned that too. Without CNC. So it wasn't me who got this idea.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

80% of those shot with a handgun survive

I suspect, based on prior experience, that there is a much smaller survival rate among those standing next to an exploding hand grenade..which is exactly that a bursting flywheel is.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Hmm. So the lesson there is, if yer gonna shoot somebody, use a rifle or a shotgun...?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

better still, hit them with a vehicle doing over 40 mph, even in gun outlawed countries you can still claim it was accidental and walk out of court.

though I seem to recall somewhere that the 12 bore / gauge "brenneke" slugs on 3 inch hull had as much mussle energy as all 5/6 rounds from a blackhawk in .44 mag ???

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Oh, so little? We call the karussel-lathe (merry-go-round-lathe). I have seen bigger ones with 3..4m diameter. Beside the mill where you walked on the table. And the operator took a chair to the place where he worked _on_ _the_ _table_. BWM had that monster.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Hi,

I saw a machinist mount a rough disc on a rotary table on his mill. He cleaned up the edge and cut a nice o-ring groove into it with a standard endmill.

Cheers Roger Haar

snipped-for-privacy@co>

Reply to
Roger Haar

Ummmmm - aren't those cast iron? Cast iron is not bad in compression but an absolute disaster in tension and, IIRC, tension runs pretty high in a flywheel. I close my eyes and see pie shaped pieces of material whizzing about and through people at supersonic speeds. :-(

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Bullard?

Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Depends on if you are shooting to stop them, or shooting to kill them.

Stopping them is more important than killing them. However..yes, when you shoot them with a rifle or shotgun, they tend to die much more often. And you dont encounter them in court, no expensive incarceration, appeals etc.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Well, I did this a while ago. I needed to turn ball ends on some adjusting screws. I didn't have a ball-turning attachement. I didn't have CNC on the lathe, but I do have a CNC mill. I had already made an internally-threaded ring for the threads on these, essentially a collet for a bolt. So, I took the entire QC holder from the lathe and clamped it in the milling vise. I put the bolt in the threaded ring, and put that in a collet on the mill. I then wrote up a little program to generate the toolpath, and compensate for the radius of a round carbide insert. it made dandy little ball ends!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson