Can springs be permanently stretched?

At the local mega hardware store, they have several different
diameter springs, but they are all the compressed type. None (except
one very large spring) have lengthwise space in between the coils.
Will a spring work reliably if it is stretched so that it can then
function as a compressible spring?
Or should I just look for another source of springs?
I'm looking for small springs somewhere around 5/8" in diameter that
can be compressed like shock absorber springs.
Thank you.
For what it's worth.
The application is for rollerski poles. The spring will be attached
somehow to the lower and upper segments of the shaft, maybe using
hose clamps if they are strong enough, for a nice neat
modular/flexible first design.
Reply to
John Doe
Sure. Put it in oven at 425F or so to normalize after stretching.
Wes S
Reply to
clutch
Greetings JD, Yes you can permanently stretch those hardware store springs. If you get an idea of what you want from the prototype check out Mcmasterr-Carr for compression springs. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow
Yes, they can be stretched. My local Ace hardware has a selection of about 300 types and sizes of both tension and compresssing springs. Big box stores just carry stuff that moves in volume.
BTW, some of those hex screwdriver bits in the fishbowl by the register are very hard. Not as hard as carbide or diamond, but you could replace often for 99 cents.
Reply to
Don Foreman
Buy springs from Fastenal, order the compression springs you want. You can specify ID or OD and thickness.
GWE
John Doe wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Find another store. I am surprised that that hardware store didn't have compression springs, too. Where there are extension springs, there usually are compression springs, too. Find a farm supply store or a hardware store in a small town or in an old neighborhood of a big town.
Pete Stanaitis ------------------
John Doe wrote:
Reply to
spaco
Lowe's
Find a farm supply store or a
Reply to
John Doe

They have everything and will sell in qty of 1 (or 1 package on some smaller things)
Search for "compression spring"
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Reply to
Randy
I used the wrong term. Ment to use stress relieving. Temperature might be a bit low too.
The start of page
has a good tutorial if you decide to roll your own.
hth,
Wes S
Reply to
clutch