Do diamond drills break easily?

I vaguely understand hardness/brittleness trade-off. I'm wondering if a 1/4" diameter diamond drill would disintegrate if it were repeatedly struck on concrete similar to the force you would apply striking a screwdriver tip against a concrete sidewalk.

Thank you.

Reply to
John Doe

From your other post, it sounds like you want these for your ski poles. A PURE diamond drill would be very hard, but extremely brittle, would snap the first time you tried it. all the diamod drills you buy are a relatively soft steel shaft with a diamond dust in matric coating. Not really very relevant to your application.

For your first try at this, just get a piece of 1/4" hardened drill rod from

or cut the flutes off a hardwared store drill. > I vaguely understand hardness/brittleness trade-off.

Reply to
RoyJ

Do some reading on "strength of materials". Pay particular attention to "modulus of elasticity". It sorta desmystifies the hard-brittle-springy-thingie.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Why don't you try diamond points for dressing grinding wheels? Get them from MSC or another supplier, or you can find them cheaper on eBay.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin