Very small diamond drills

Anybody got a handle on on a supplier for very small diamond drills. I mean about 0.25mm or smaller. Save yourself some trouble -- Machine tools suppliers -- no go; jewelry suppliers -- no go; dental -- no go and too expensive, anyhow. Please guys, save some newsgroup bandwidth and only reply if you have personal experience in drilling very small holes, in quantity, through quartz and similar hard material -- no hypothetical theories, please. Thanks.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Machineman

Reply to
Machineman

Machineman sez: "probably not what you want to hear, but lasers would be the best route for this.

" In response to Boris's: "Please guys, save some newsgroup bandwidth and only reply if you have personal experience in drilling very small holes, in quantity, through quartz and similar hard material -- no hypothetical theories, please."

So, Boris - did you really expect no cockameemie, off the wall, responses from those that have zero experience with the subject and even less knowledge?

Bob (wasted bandwidth) Sw>

Reply to
Robert Swinney

And Machineman, unable to stop himself, gushes with more of the same "And another method is ultrasonic drilling

" Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

And Tim Williams, brimming up with BS's BS, has his finger hovering over the killfile button...

Tim

Tim Williams

WTF? RCM + saved BW by not posting???? Something doesn't sound right here....

Tim

Tim Williams

Please spare us the bandwidth for your pre-censoring responses.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Yep. I'm sure lasers are the way to go -- but my beading friend isn't likely to want to invest kilobucks on the project. Any handles on what a tool suitable for a home workshop budget is likely to cost?

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

That's a possible answer. Went to the web page. They do small jobs, with a $25 minimum charge. I'll pass that on to my friend.

Thanks.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Richard writes: "Please spare us the bandwidth for your pre-censoring responses."

Yeah! And we can all use that hypothetical and very mysterious "bandwidth". In all liklihood, those that spout the term the most, understand it the least...

Bob (very bandwidth limited) Sw>

Reply to
Robert Swinney

See, I got so excited by all that wasted bandwidth, I almost double-posted. Oh, wait, let me check! I did double post. Please try to disregard my flagrant waste of precious bandwidth.

"bandwidth".

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Boris; Voice of experience - Ultrasonic works great and with minimal break through chipping. For beading uses, Rio Grande sells several suitable units. These are not particularly cheap; but work beautifully. Rio also sells cheap diamond drills/machines for drilling beads. Jim

Reply to
JAMES RISER

Reply to
Machineman

double-posted.

Now now Bob, let's not spam the poor fellow... we must conserve bandwidth, as it is one of our few natural resources!

Tim

Tim Williams

Sounds good Jim. Have you got a URL? Or is this an outfit that would be known to avid beaders?

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Actually, that's not too far off from what I had been thinking about. Small copper or brass tube or wire, diamond paste, small drill press, etc.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Sorry Machineman. I meant no disrespect. Your's were comments from the heart, I suppose; but Boris plainly said he wanted no comments from those with no specific experience. There is just something about the term, "bandwidth" that disturbs me. (actually Boris used the term) In a way, it is disrespectful of T-nut's memory, IMO. T-nut often used it as in "Get off of my bandwidth". Somehow, it seemed OK coming from T-nut, but since I find little substance in the term.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I have a lot of experience cutting / drilling glass. The short answer is....They don't make diamond bits that small.

Best bet....ultrasonic.

Question: Most bead makers form the beads on a mandrel, thus leaving a hole when finished. Is he doing something different?

just curious.

Randy Hansen SC Glass Tech. Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

Randy H.