hung up

My RCM download system seems to be hung up. I keep getting repeats of everything for the last 4 or 5 days now. Is there a way to correct this? Engineman1

Reply to
Engineman1

I'm including a CC: to your e-mail address, because you might not get it in the newsgroup if you are having problems.

It sounds as though the file on your system which records which articles have already been read is stuck in a read-only mode. Perhaps the disk partition is full, so you can't write anything more to it?

It is up to *your* system to keep track of what you have read, and what you have not. The news servers (even AOLs) don't know how to do that, and don't have the resources. They don't know who is reading the articles -- at the most, they know what IP it is, and is is quite possible that multiple people read from the same system, as well as the fact that the IP address changes each time you dial in.

I have read in the past of Outlook Express having a problem which is cured by unsubscribing from the newsgroup, rebooting, and then re-subscribing. (Of course, this means that you are stuck with lots of already read files which you have to deal with once more.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

With older versions of Netscape I used to frequently have problems with news. In that case, unsubscribing and resubscribing fixed it.

Steve Smith

Eng>My RCM download system seems to be hung up. I keep getting repeats of

Reply to
Steve Smith

Ouch! He should certainly check the file attributes and space first. My ISP shows a total of over 65,000 entries.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Steve Smith wrote in news:4106f2c0$0$204$75868355 @news.frii.net:

I strongly suggest Xnews.

Reply to
Anthony

newsspool2.news.pas.earthlink.net!stamper.news.pas.earthlink.net!elnk-pas-nf1!newsfeed.earthlink.net!news.maxwell.syr.edu!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!ngpeer.news.aol.com!audrey-m2.news.aol.com!not-for-mail

(newsspool2.news.pas.earthlink.net)

How about using a real news reader?

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman Liebmann

Reply to
Gunner