Very small diamond drills

Very nice work Randy!

Reply to
Lane

Machineman

Reply to
Machineman

Actually it takes more bits to send lower case:

A = 01000001 a = 01100001

Reply to
Jim Stewart

8 bits

8 bits

If you are arguing that a binary 1 is more of a bit than a binary 0 then you need some education.

If you are arguing about compression schemes used on TCP/IP links I say you have a weak argument, but I'd like to hear the details.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

I'm aware of both and need no education. I was toggling programs into the front panel of PDP 8's in '73.

It just struck me as something someone might find funny. I guess not.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Then find a shop that will do it for a fee.

Reply to
Norm Dresner
[snipppp]

I did double-check you post for smileys before I posted. I apologise for suggesting you were incompetent. I did find it funny, but as there is little context in usenet (I wasn't about to analyse the archive of your postings before replying) so I decided to interpret your text as it was written; I didn't know whether to think you were a drooling moron or whether you were being funny. Evidently the latter was the case. Dry humour doesn't work on usenet. You always get some smart-arse like me appearing from nowhere.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

I thought the elevator switches at a place I used to work were pretty funny. The fan switch was marked in "digital". It had three positions: 0, 1, 11.

Steve Smith

Reply to
Steve Smith

Heard from a typeset customer looking at a paper tape reader - "Reader zero, you can't have a reader zero, zero's a nuthin"

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Boris; Try:

their site for drilling, beads, ultrasonic, etc. If you can not find what you need, give them a call. Jim

Reply to
JAMES RISER

(Snip)

It made me laugh out loud.

He's serious, Jim.

(You know you are a geek when a 'one' in bit 5 makes you laugh.)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Vote legislation to equalize bits!!! Unfair treatment of zeroes!!

Tim

Tim Williams

That's valuable. No point wasting time on that route.

That seems to be the concensus of those with the experience.

I'm not doing it myself. My question was for a friend. The material in question is opal. My friend lucked (maybe not luck) into a stash of opal chips ranging from 2mm square to about 3x5mm. She thought that if she could drill them, they would make a nice addition to the beads she uses. Because of my jewelry experience she figured I would know where to get some very small diamond drills (0.5mm is the smallest I could find). Anyhow, I mistakenly thought that opals were relatively soft. Tried high-speed drills -- it laughed. Went to carbides -- snicker, but did make a small impression. Then checked the hardness in the handbook and found that they were about 6 -- like quartz (which is what they are chemically). In addition to the hardness, there is a real problem holding them; as several deep punctures in my thumb will attest to. The right method is to imbed them in sealing wax before drilling. PITA. Anyhow, that should satisfy your curiosity. And thank you for the input.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Thank you. I'll pass this url on.