Very Small Industrial IC Shunter

Anyone got any ideas for a very small standard gauge IC shunter?

I'm looking for something that could work a small yard where even a small 0-4-0 steam loco would be too large. I've seen small narrow gauge IC locos made by people like Lister, but on searching the Web, I've failed to come up with anything similar for standard gauge.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Cannot directly answer your question, but does it have to be IC? Have you considered something like this: ? Don't know if it's commercially available as a model in any scale, but you may be able to scratch build/kitbash something similar.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

What about a Planet or Motor Rail engine: these both came in standard gauge form at one stage or another:

Figure 4 shows a rather nice standard-gauge Planet.

shows a standard-gauge motor rail engine.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Assuming OO - maybe a Roxey Mouldings "Howard" (or "Minnie" as an IC loco). I've got an Ruston & Hornsby 48DS from an A1 Kit that fits on a WB24.5 Tenshodo SPUD or Bachmann gandy dancer chassis, but I've not seen the kit in some time.

I've also read some NG "protected" Simplexes were altered to standard gauge so have experimented with the smallest Bec Kits bogie with a model "armoured" Simplex. I've yet to see how these were coupled to anything and I suspect they were heavily altered. I seem to remember seeing a layout called something like "Horseacres" with a lot of tiny locomotives at one point which could provide further inspiration, and (not IC) I've always liked the Midland battery electric BEL1 that appeared in Model Trains International.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

What was that little thing Lima used to do? An 02? Or am I thinking N gauge?

Reply to
Brian Watson

Don't think Lima did anything like an 02. They *did* do some weird thing in BR blue (snd D25xx number, if memory serves) that looked, to my untrained eye, like a German prototype (if indeed it was based on any prototype). However, it was quite long, so possibly defeating the point of the original question.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

Phil,

I was really looking for something 'different' and a really small IC loco would fit the bill - something like the Simplex loco on the web page that Andrew Breen pointed to.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Andrew,

Something like the Simplex with the transverse engine is what I had in mind so thanks for the pointer which gives me ideas. The loco would be scratchbuilt in Scale7 so no problem in hunting for kits or RTR. It will be used to work a small yard which would probably have been worked by horse in real life, but I don't think my modelling skills are up to making a working horse :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Mark,

It would be scratchbuilt in Scale7, so no problem in hunting for kits or RTR.

Andrew Breen has pointed to a web page with details of Simplex locomotives and that's the type I was thinking of.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

I once saw the remains of a unit which was a Fordson tractor conversion. It was done by another firm Muir Hill. There are some white metal kits around for Fordson tractors. ISTR someone did describe making a rail version in one of the periodicals .Ah found it. Railway modeller. April 2001. that was for

7mm scale.
?Quarryman?%20stands%20inside%20Ravenglass%20station~~10th%20July%201985~~ Shows a narrow gauge version. but gives the general idea.

G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

ABS/Wrightlines did a kit in 7mm for the Simplex, reviewed in MRJ 77 by Martyn Welch.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Roy Link Did a etched brass kit for the none bow frame girder chassis IE Narrow gauge. now marketed by Kay Butler. I could send you a copy of the Instruction that includes Drawing and a explode view of kit, it might help

Reply to
Trev

Trev,

That would be excellent and help a lot.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

That's an interesting prototype :-) It could be made to standard gauge wuite easily by widening the frames.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

'Quarryman'%20stands%20inside%20Ravenglass%20station~~10th%20July%201985~~>

Branchlines of Exeter do a 4mm kit to fit a Tenshodo SPUD.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan