Passengers & carriage interiors

Hi all,

I've been carefully dismantling my carriages with a view to painting the interiors something a little more interesting than the hornby white or whatever it is.

First of all, where can I find out the colours of the interiors of LMS carriages in the 20's and 30's ? Tried Google, but it just didn't seem to want to play ball tonight.

Also, I want to stick some passengers in as well - any recommendations on passengers (preferably ready-painted) ?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Your best bet is to get a book - I recommend "The LMS Coach, 1923 - 1957" by RJ Essery and D Jenkinson. You may have to hunt around for it...

According to that book, the ceilings and compartments of coaches were painted white. The remainder of the interior was painted terracotta, which was then varnished. Wooden items such as seating frames were stained a deep mahogany, although first class compartments sometimes had silver greywood veneer. By the late 30s, walnut stain had replaced the mahogany. The walls of the toilet areas were painted "Duck Egg Green" - probably eau de nil.

There was little standardisation in the matter of seat upholstery and carpeting. It would seem that traditional red and black velvet was very popular, but fawn and blue patterned moquettes were increasingly used as time went on. Seat antimacassars in the first class cars were unbleached holland embroidered with the LMS monogram.

It also appears that the upholstery patterns were sometimes of a rather bold design. In general it can be said that colours became lighter and patterned finishes more common as time went on.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Enzo,

That helps a great deal. Thank You.

Every> Ian Cornish wrote:

Reply to
Ian Cornish

recommendations

  1. Get some real cheapo figures. Any the right scale will do.
  2. Cut the legs off the standing ones.
  3. Stick the top halves in, plus the seated ones.
  4. Try to think of a use for loads of legs (clothes shop window, for example).

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

You could try Preiser - looking in their catalogue I can see ready-painted people in a sitting position in both N and OO/HO... they are model German people, but I'm sure there's little difference ;o)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Sharp

Preiser do a wide range of ready-painted miniature figures - Google on: Preiser miniature figures for photos and dealers. Painted figures are quite expensive; the best value is a bulk pack of unpainted seated figures. Even though they are HO, you might have to shorten or remove legs to fit in the seats.

Langley Models -

- sells a wide range of figures and other acessories in various scales including 1:76, mainly in white metal. Probably rather pricey for populating coach interiors.

Reply to
MartinS

The Preiser un-painted seated figures are probably your best bet. I think about 100 figures in the box. As they will be behind glazing, painting needs not to be too finicky. Stick them down with super glue or after a while you'll find them all rattling around on the floor orgy wise. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce