My trailer's electrical box design

To readers of s.e.d., I just built a 5k lbs trailer based on a bed from M105A2 trailer. The trailer tows good, the only thing I have to do is wire its electricals.

This page details how I make the box, including description of LED indicator lights to show connection and electric brake status.

Comments will be appreciated (such as whether these LEDs make sense etc).

The page goes into detail about my design.

Ignoramus10353

Forgive the intrusion but have you Americans given up using the word well ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Reply to
JR North

Iggy is not exactly an American, he is an import! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

English is not my native language, so do not consider me a standard of American English!

Ignoramus10353

"He's fallen down the well. Well, well, well."

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I didn't realise. Curiously though you do seem to have adopted a habit I've seen from other US posters of using adjectives as adverbs.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I thought you shot a video of something.

You have inspired me to make a video of my Dream PC 2006...

I have done it before though... quality of video is low but still fun.

Bye, Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Deep subject. Dark too.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Wheres Lassie when you need him?

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 05:33:41 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Eeyore quickly quoth:

I'm an American and I cringed at that, too, Graham. (And we 'Murricans usually put quotation marks around the word in question, "well" in that sentence; don't you?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:15:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

That reminds me of the joke my dad told me one evening when we stood on the banks of Lake Ouchita in Hot Springs, AR on vacation. I was 10 or so years old:

Two guys were standing next to a stream peeing and one bragged "Ooh, the water's cold today." The other bragged "Yeah, deep, too!"

For those of you in Rio Linda (and West Palm Beach), I'll explain it to you if you like. Jes' holler, y'hear?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Graham

Forgive the intrusion, but, who are "Americans"?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Eeyore is a lame British troll, so just ignore him. He lives only to damn anything American. He pollutes the sci.electronics.* newsgroups with his hatred and ignorance.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think that I received some meaningful comments from him in the past. Anyways, this thread has veered a little away from where I wanted it to go, specifically I would like to hear if these LEDs are a sensible idea or not. I left them powered with 15V overnight, so far they have not burned out, so perhaps 500 ohm resistors are acceptable. I will keep them on until tonight. The series resistors are hot, but still they can be touched without getting my fingers burned.

Ignoramus3585

Do you really need them to run at ~ 25 mA ? I assume these are standard 30 mA @ 25C LEDs. In my view, it would be better to run them a lot lower. I'm thinking of times when the sun is beating down and it is really hot. Running them at a lower current might be beneficial.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

over here it's illegal to have forwards-facing red lights (maybe go with blue, or amber instead?)

by reading the manufacturers data sheet you can tell what current is acceptable by the led.

for a 12V system if you want more brightness put more LEDs in series,

painting the back of the led and the front of panel it's fitted to black helps with visibility.

I ran an ordinary 20ma red LED off a 5v supply once, with no series resistor, just to see what would happen. It passed about 100ma and lasted more than an hour.

Reply to
jasen

I doubt they will burn out in the amount of time I tow the trailer. They need to be visible in my rearview mirror. I did measure the current, it is indeed 25 mA, as you stated.

Ignoramus3585

This is for brakes, not for brake lights. My trailer's axle has electric brakes.

Ignoramus3585

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 03:37:12 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Rich Grise quickly quoth:

What language do you think "Igor Chudov" would speak, Rich.

-- Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. --Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques