Sheet metal box design and layout

I am looking for resources to help me layout a sheet metal box I need
to design and build.
Thanks in advance
Steve
Reply to
gtslabs
Lacking any CAD tools, I'd do the layout on cardboard; study and plan the bends, order of the bends, growth of the metal, etc.
Our networking shop made a few "impossible" boxes this way back in the '80s. We won a bet with a local old-timer sheet metal guy who claimed one box "couldn't be made" in one piece. Got a couple-cases of beer and a nasty look from the geezer when we bent it up on HIS finger brake. It was a sequencing issue. He couldn't mentally get past some interfering "reverse bends" that actually didn't get in the way if they were made in the correct order.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
I have Autocad.
Lloyd E. Sp> Lacking any CAD tools, I'd do the layout on cardboard; study and plan the
Reply to
gtslabs
My condolances :-) Rhino 3d has some nice features in the new V4 that can flatten out items like this, even if they are not planar. One command called 'smash' used an icon of a roadkilled cat with a tire tread through it. :-) Origanally designed for things like hot air ballon layouts.
gtslabs wrote:
Reply to
James P Crombie
Machinery's handbook has a section on bending sheet metals. The key is to know where the neutral plane is in the bend. I had an old edition, back about 9 or 17 that had a really good article. The later editions have the section, too, but it is a little harder to use. Basically, I have used 20% from the inside of a 90 degree bend as the neutral plane with good results. I am not a sheet metal worker, just a guy who has to use the stuff once in a while.
Pete Stanaitis
gtslabs wrote:
Reply to
spaco