**Newbie** Looking for sheet metal help

I am in the process of making a round Joiner, its is aluminum and its .018" thick with a 0.5" over lap for spotwelding. I am wondering what is the best way to design this, and how.

I see and example where a cylinder was made and some how they unfolded it to a flatten state, "I have know Idea how it was done". Another example I see was with a spiral and again I have now idea how they did.

Is there a book or web site out there that deals with the sheet metal aspect of solidworks.

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to contributing to the forum

Reply to
Mike

What version are you using? In SW2003, the help does contain some pretty good examples. Go there and study a bit to understand some of the basics, and then come back and ask questions.

Also, what's a joiner?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Hello there Mike!

Welcome to the frustrating and also eventually rewarding world of solidworks sheetmetal.

I made up a sample model which included a "how to" which shows how to make an overlap which includes some holes and extrudes in the flat. The sample model is a round "vented" tube, but the idea can be applied to any shape that is "cylindrical" (a single vector extrude of a polygon . . .)

I hope this helps.

Regards,

SMA

Reply to